DIY Grid Tie 5.1kW for $0.77/kW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I only use around 200 KWh of electricity a month for 9 months of the year and around 280 the other 3 months, in the summer. But I am in the north where the sun isn’t strong in the winter.... it’d be neat to put a system in and I have done quite a bit of DIY project like building my own 3 level home here and electrical work here and in my past job in facilities maintenance.... huh... I don’t know... maybe someday.

Regular forum readers probably can skip this as its my standard plug for solar that I do when people express interest ;)

First thing is go outside and look at your roof and make sure you have sun from 9 AM to 3PM. Your roof should face south for optimum production but some angle away from south may mean you just need another panel or two. There can be no significant shade or shadows. For a 2 KW array my guess is roughly 8 panels totally roughly 16' by 16'. You most likely need to leave open roof 2' from the ridge pole and two feet from the edge of the roof but that varies with locality. Best time to look for shading is winter but remember if you have tall trees in front of the spot factor them in.

Go to this website http://www.dsireusa.org/, look up your state and see what incentives and policies are in place for your area. You may not have winter sun but most production is spring fall and summer. Now go to this site http://pvwatts.nrel.gov/ and you can plug in your local data and it will calculate your array size based on annual electric usage (it assumes you have net metering available). If you dont,its gets a bit trickier as you end up with a smaller system to try to match your monthly loads so you are not throwing away power.

As long as you have a good net metering option, you are probably a candidate. Unless your building inspector or state requires it, a small PV installation like this is within the skills of homeowner comfortable with basic electrical. The microinverter based systems are pretty well plug and play and unless you have an odd roof, there are several on line companies that can design a system including the roof racking. The biggest hassle for most is working on the roof and finding the roof joists to screw into. The racking that holds the panels is attached to the roof with special flashing systems, dotn go cheap on them as that is the biggest spot where you could have a leak in the future, usually its lift up the shingle, slide in the special flashing and screw in a special lag screw to the joist centerline). The microinverters are either integrated with the panel or just need to be screwed on the back and then the panel leads are plugged into the microinverter. The manufacturer supplies a standard cable with special connectors on it at intervals. The microinverters are then plugged into this cable (usually limited to around 16 panels per cable whihc wont be a issue for you) and then the cable is run to your main panel. If you have 200 Amp panel its pretty simple, just install a new double pole breaker on the opposite end of the panel from the main breaker and you are good to go except for putting up a bunch of warning stickers which the supply house should be able to supply you and getting it inspected.

The biggest hassle is the paperwork, some inspectors and utilities dont like solar or their brother in law is an electrician so they can throw some hurdles in front of you.

There is book called Solar Power your Home for Dummies, there is an older version on line but you can buy the newer version for less than $15 bucks, its highly recommended to get you up to speed..

Reactions: WiscWoody
Griz - excellent results. A 6.1kW system in my area of northern MN would be expected to produce about 6600 kWh of electricity in a shade free location.

WiscWoody - where in NW WI are you. I'm about 150 miles straight west of Duluth. Does WI have net metering? Unless you would be affected a lot with clouds by Lake Superior, a 2.2 kW system in a shade free area probably would provide on an annual basis nearly all of the energy you use. Of course, on a daily or monthly basis production is variable.
I’m 30 miles south east of Hayward WI in Winter WI. I don’t get any shade on the house but my roofs face east and west. I don’t know if they allow net metering here but I’ll call them and ask soon. It’d be nice to get a Tesla battery pack and go off grid and save the monthly service charge of $14 but I have no idea what those battery packs cost. Power costs $0.125 per KWh here, I think... my power bill is usually around $32-$36 a month for the 9 months and a bit higher in the summer A/C months. Wow... if I did a solar system that would compliment my nearly free heat too. I say nearly free bc the wood is ample up here and I never have a problem scrounging for the wood and most of it is within a mile of my house and brought home with my ATV and it’s trailer.

Last edited:
I'm going to do some studying - so thanks for this post.

God, I'm cheap (fyi - I built a large masonry heater for $1700). I'm new to solar. I'm going with a grid-tied ground system. My power company offers net metering. But the state of Idaho offers nothing, so my only discount is the 30% federal.

I bought new 5 year old panels for @ 0.42/watt - hanwha 235 watt. And I obtained a new 5 kw Kaco inverter, too (half off). I live out in the country with a 15 ft hill facing dead south with one tree - so I'm going to do a ground mount, and dispatch of the tree (more firewood).

I was told I could go 25% over the size of the inverter - so that is what I did for a total of 6.13 kw (26 panels). I have some old 10 gauge well wire so I'm going to re-purpose it. Of course, I'm going to build the ground mount structure. It looks like 40 to 42 degree angle will work best (i.e. favoring summer over winter sun). From there I'll have to look at/study the rails and connectors to determine the best path. Hmmm........