Chimey/exhaust doesn't match up new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Diffmeister

Oct 12, 2022
North Dakota
I have older flat top pelpro which I am upgrading to a pp130. The chimney goes straight out the back through the wall outside then up. I didn't install it I bought the house this way. But the new pp130 chimney/exhaust is 6 inches lower than the hole in the wall. What's the best way to make it connect to the existing piping without puting blocks under it to riase the entire stove? Is there a flex pipe or use 2 90 degree elbows?

Add what you need to the hearth
To bring it up to the right level
Or rebuild the hearth at the right level

Reactions: mtnbiker727
I put blocks under mine, but it's getting unwieldy to heave the bags to shoulder height. I am also looking at re-routing the exhaust piping.

I have older flat top pelpro which I am upgrading to a pp130. The chimney goes straight out the back through the wall outside then up. I didn't install it I bought the house this way. But the new pp130 chimney/exhaust is 6 inches lower than the hole in the wall. What's the best way to make it connect to the existing piping without puting blocks under it to riase the entire stove? Is there a flex pipe or use 2 90 degree elbows?
You didn't get many responses for some reason... hopefully you see this.

The more elbows you have, the more restricted your pipe will be, and you'll have issues getting enough draft to burn properly, and it'll make it a LOT harder to clean the pipe. You really want to minimize the number of turns.

The best option would be to lift the stove as suggested, but if that's not practical, can you cut another hole at the appropriate height, and fix the hole that's there?

You didn't get many responses for some reason... hopefully you see this.

The more elbows you have, the more restricted your pipe will be, and you'll have issues getting enough draft to burn properly, and it'll make it a LOT harder to clean the pipe. You really want to minimize the number of turns.

The best option would be to lift the stove as suggested, but if that's not practical, can you cut another hole at the appropriate height, and fix the hole that's there?
I ended up raising the stove with cinder blocks I found at menards. I don't have any issues lifting the bags that high. I'll more than likely build somthing this summer that's nicer looking than the blocks. Sure was nice having this stove with the -50 windchill last week.