Chimney adapter question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdrcr56

Sep 8, 2006
I have a question on installing the interior run of duravent dvl chimney pipe, is it ok to drill and screw the section of pipe that hooks up to the snap connector at the support box for a little added security?

Personally I'd just screw all the joints together and nothing is going anywhere, if the slip is screwed to teh piece below it it's going ot be next to impossible for the pipe to disengage.

We're in an earthquake zone. I ended up screwing our DVL pipe to the support box connector for extra peace of mind..

I asked my installer to twist-lok AND screw each connection on the simpson duravent. He said it is commonly asked but not really required. He said that he would be happy to do it for me.

Earthquakes, rattling and shaking from a chimney fire, cleaning brush rattling, and jsut peace of mind are my reasons.

I work with a lot of career firefighters and they were very specific when they said that the number one place where woodstoves burn houses down besides regular chimney firse is in the attic where you can't see the pipes coming apart and where clearances are sometimes skimped on. I want the out of sight stuff to be double safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.