Chimney and Chase on New House w/ a ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sconnie Burner

Feeling the Heat
Aug 23, 2014
Western Wi
Here it is ready for inspection before it gets sealed up.
Chimney and Chase on New House w/ a ?

The guy I had build the chase, built it a little tall on the roof though I think. Is 7" to the top of the pipe and 11" to the top of the cap going to be ok?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to see the roof pitch. Is the chimney supported every 8'? Are all combustibles 2" away from the wood in the chase?

Yep all good there! Actually have 3" all the way around. 1 wall braces below the roofline, one at the roof line and the chase top will center and stabalize the pipe at the top according to the chimney installer. The top is 4 feet above the roof 10 ft away. Roof pitch is a 6/12. Just not sure if the 7" of pipe out the top is enough as the chase got built a little taller than it was suppose to be.

You are gonna need a helicopter to clean that pipe. Make sure that the part above the roof can support a ladder leaning against it from the backside with somebody on it.

You are gonna need a helicopter to clean that pipe. Make sure that the part above the roof can support a ladder leaning against it from the backside with somebody on it.
Yep, tested that out today! I installed the ribbon around the top for the chase cap so I could get the dimensions to the chimney guy to get it built.

Reactions: BrotherBart
Wouldn't this be easier to clean from the bottom with an access door to remove the cleanout cap on the bottom of the tee?

Wouldn't this be easier to clean from the bottom with an access door to remove the cleanout cap on the bottom of the tee?
Have to figure out a trap door but yes that will be an option. I don't mind heights and roofs, except icy ones. If I have to do a winter cleaning it will most definitely be bottom up! Have my eye on a soot eater at the moment.

That's the only way I would be cleaning that chimney.

Last edited:
My chimney is on the side of the house like that...PITA to top clean for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.