Chimney Cap Spark Arrester

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've been told that pine and cedar is bad to burn in a wood stove or fireplace, because of because of the sap... I've never questioned it, but apparently I need to. Obviously it would need the usual seasoning, cedar does smell good. Being questioned on this is why I'm here, to learn. Thanks!

I've been told that pine and cedar is bad to burn in a wood stove or fireplace, because of because of the sap... I've never questioned it, but apparently I need to. Obviously it would need the usual seasoning, cedar does smell good. Being questioned on this is why I'm here, to learn. Thanks!
As long as its dry there is absolutly no problem burning either. I generally dont only because by volume they have much lower btus than most of the wood available to me. But if i have to cut it up for some reason it goes in the stacks and gets burnt. The only wood i wont cut is elm. And that is just because it is such a pita to split.

Reactions: MoDoug

In my part of the country the huge majority of firewood burned is evergreens. I burn a lot of red cedar and pitchy Doug fir. In a modern stove, after the wood has dried, these woods burn very cleanly. Really all woods burn about the same way except for ash production and how long each load lasts.

If you have a choice, pick the highest btu woods. For me that sometimes means softwoods(evergreens) before hardwoods(deciduous). No worry at all is given to sap.

For various reasons I've never had a place for an indoor fire, and if you knew me that would surprise you. Not much pine in my area, mostly hardwoods, but we do have some pine on a lot next to us that died too soon and the guy that owns the lot would love for me to clear it off. There's a lot of eastern red cedar here. It's good to know I have more options than I realized.

Highbeam, I see you're near Mt. Rainier, I've been there and it's a beautiful place, those Douglas Firs are impressive!

Reactions: Highbeam