Chimney Cap Spark Arrester

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoDoug

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2018
NE Missouri
Good morning,

I will be installing a wood stove, and will need to have it professionally inspected before the insurance company will accept it. We got in touch with an installer that does inspections. One of the things he is pretty insistent on, is that I do not use the Supervent spark arrester screen because it is flat expanded metal, and creosote builds up on it faster than the welded fencing that he is recommending. This is mostly to keep birds out of the chimney pipe. The welded fencing vs. flat expanded metal makes sense to me. My chimney cap,the Supervent Delux Rain Cap, will be 11 feet above the roof.

What I'm having a difficult time understanding is, he does not want me to install the fencing (spark arrestor) from inside the chimney cap as it is intended to be. Instead, he wants me to install it on the outside of the chimney cap. Not sure why this would make a difference, and it looks considerably more difficult than just installing on the inside of the cap. Also by installing on the outside, I will need to install a separate piece of fencing on the top of the cap because of the way it is made, keeping in mind this is the Deluxe Rain Cap. I guess it could help to keep leaves from entering the chimney cap and pipe. Does this make any sense, am I missing something?

As always, all responses are appreciated.

Thank you

Good morning,

I will be installing a wood stove, and will need to have it professionally inspected before the insurance company will accept it. We got in touch with an installer that does inspections. One of the things he is pretty insistent on, is that I do not use the Supervent spark arrester screen because it is flat expanded metal, and creosote builds up on it faster than the welded fencing that he is recommending. This is mostly to keep birds out of the chimney pipe. The welded fencing vs. flat expanded metal makes sense to me. My chimney cap,the Supervent Delux Rain Cap, will be 11 feet above the roof.

What I'm having a difficult time understanding is, he does not want me to install the fencing (spark arrestor) from inside the chimney cap as it is intended to be. Instead, he wants me to install it on the outside of the chimney cap. Not sure why this would make a difference, and it looks considerably more difficult than just installing on the inside of the cap. Also by installing on the outside, I will need to install a separate piece of fencing on the top of the cap because of the way it is made, keeping in mind this is the Deluxe Rain Cap. I guess it could help to keep leaves from entering the chimney cap and pipe. Does this make any sense, am I missing something?

As always, all responses are appreciated.

Thank you
It makes no difference if the screen is inside or out. Or if it is expanded or welded. What makes a difference is the size of the holes. And to be clear most screens are not spark arrestors. To be a spark arrestor i beleice the holes need to be no more than 3/8" and yes they clog. But many people inclusing myself run regular screens with no problems.

Do you really really need a screen? They are rarely required and as your sweep indicates are very often problematic. Do you want to have to climb up there and unclog that filter in the middle of winter? When they clog, you can’t burn until you clean it. I have two caps with no screens.

So the inspector is telling you to tear apart a system which was designed / engineered by a company with 90+ years of experience in the field, and replace the 'as designed' screen with a piece of fencing based on his suppositions?

I think I'd report him to the authorities / state agency and try to get him out of the inspection business.

Do you really really need a screen? They are rarely required and as your sweep indicates are very often problematic. Do you want to have to climb up there and unclog that filter in the middle of winter? When they clog, you can’t burn until you clean it. I have two caps with no screens.
That may work where you live it does not where i live. I would have birds nests and or squirrels without a screen. And mine doesnt clog. Many people easily go a year without cleaning their screens.

That may work where you live it does not where i live. I would have birds nests and or squirrels without a screen. And mine doesnt clog. Many people easily go a year without cleaning their screens.

Many members also report having to clear the stupid filter multiple times per year. Plugging up in the middle of burning season on a dark stormy night is not my idea of fun.

No animals climbing into my home’s chimney.

Many members also report having to clear the stupid filter multiple times per year. Plugging up in the middle of burning season on a dark stormy night is not my idea of fun.

No animals climbing into my home’s chimney.
Yes some people do hasve an issue with them clogging. I never said some didnt. But many people also have issues with animals. It all depends on your situation. Just because you cant keep your screens clean doesnt mean others cant. And just because you dont have issues with wildlife doesnt mean others dont.

Yes some people do hasve an issue with them clogging. I never said some didnt. But many people also have issues with animals. It all depends on your situation. Just because you cant keep your screens clean doesnt mean others cant. And just because you dont have issues with wildlife doesnt mean others dont.

Gee, thank you for clearing that up captain obvious.

To the op, no screen means no clogging. No screen may allow wildlife to come down the chimney but look around at all of the chimneys with no cap.

Gee, thank you for clearing that up captain obvious.
So why is it you tell everyone they dont need a screen based on your very limited experince?

So why is it you tell everyone they dont need a screen based on your very limited experince?

I absolutely did not say everyone does not need a screen. I’m sorry you misread.

I absolutely did not say everyone does not need a screen. I’m sorry you misread.
No you didnt say that exactly but you did say they are rarley needed. That is not true in many areas. You also said they are problematic. And while that can be true in many cases it is not.

We need an internet police icon.

No you didnt say that exactly but you did say they are rarley needed. That is not true in many areas. You also said they are problematic. And while that can be true in many cases it is not.

Again you misread. I said they are rarely required. Big difference don’t you think?

We need an internet police icon.
I am sorry that i feel it is important to give people accurate info based on experince with more than one location. I guess that makes me unreasonable.

Again you misread. I said they are rarely required. Big difference don’t you think?
Did you miss the fact that i quoted that exactly? And claiming they are rarely required is simply not true. How many times have you cleaned out a chimney that had been completly filled with nesting material by birds? I would much rather clean a screen once or twice a season than ever have to deal with that.

I am sorry that i feel it is important to give people accurate info based on experince with more than one location. I guess that makes me unreasonable.

What you are doing is misquoting to try and create an error so you can try to pump up your ego by swooping in to save the world from this fabricated error. Instead, you should try and be helpful.

People like you disgust me. Try and be helpful.

So when i quoted you saying screens are rarely needed that was wrong???

Ok fine i said needed rather than required but your claim is still incorrect regardless of the wording

You still are just a very confused person. I am certain that you are still misunderstanding as what I said is perfectly correct and safe.

Maybe you should be a moderator so that your job will be to correct people.

You still are just a very confused person. I am certain that you are still misunderstanding as what I said is perfectly correct and safe.

Maybe you should be a moderator so that your job will be to correct people.
Perfectly safe yes but perfectly correct no not at all.

Perfectly safe yes but perfectly correct no not at all.

Unfortunately for you, your opinion is just st as valid as mine. Also, you’re wrong, again.

Since I forget what you’re whining about this time we will just have to agree to disagree.

I would assume that 'required' implies required by code or an inspecting person. ['Legal']. And 'needed' would apply to a situation where it might not be 'required' as per the first sentence but 'needed' say if you have a bird or squirrel problem. Or maybe not needed, if you like occasional messy visits in your house from random lost wildlife.

Either way, I would also suggest that the OP find a different inspector, as I think I agree with post #4 in that he shouldn't be asking for a bubble gum type mod like that to an item that was designed & certified under what I assume would be quite strict requirements or guidelines. Which is usually an instant code violation and also usually puts your insurance coverage at risk.

Reactions: Highbeam
I would assume that 'required' implies required by code or an inspecting person. ['Legal']. And 'needed' would apply to a situation where it might not be 'required' as per the first sentence but 'needed' say if you have a bird or squirrel problem. Or maybe not needed, if you like occasional messy visits in your house from random lost wildlife.

Either way, I would also suggest that the OP find a different inspector, as I think I agree with post #4 in that he shouldn't be asking for a bubble gum type mod like that to an item that was designed & certified under what I assume would be quite strict requirements or guidelines. Which is usually an instant code violation and also usually puts your insurance coverage at risk.
I would say if you live in an area where you have problems with wildlife a screen is required. Mayby not by code but by necessity. This stupid battle over semantics is rediculous and not helpfull at all. Whether you say needed or required doesnt matter in some areas a screen is nessecary to keep animals out of the chimney. The op needs to determine if that is an issue for them and make their decision from that info.

When I had spark arrestors in my caps they always clogged. Always a pain to deal with. What do they actually do except keep birds out? Do they really arrest sparks? Seems like a little spark could get through that mesh size anyway.