chimney caps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boatbuilder

Hearth Supporter
Feb 11, 2008
Newport RI
I have an old home with two chimneys, neither of which is capped. One chimney is for all of the gas services including two hot water heaters and two hydronic boilers. Is a wind direction cap a good choice for the gas service chiney considering the coastal wind issues here? Also, is there a method or company that sells solar power vent fans to turn my unused chiney into a basement ventillation system?

Thanks

Newport! What a nice place!
I want a summer place nearby there someday...when RE prices come down another 10-20%.
Do you work at the place where they rebuild the yachts?

Here is the deal with wind and caps. Tests have proven that even regular caps help greatly with wind. A study is available at:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Effect_of_wind_on_chimney_caps/

My advice is to use a regular cap and make certain (in ANY case) to have one or two CO detectors in the house. That part of the advice goes for anyone who burns oil, coal or gas....or really any fuel.

Another concern is whether your gas chimneys are lined - for a couple decades, the gas companies and codes have required that most masonry chimneys be lined when gas is vented into them (low cost flex aluminum will usually do).

As to the solar venting, this is a good idea and I would think you can retrofit one of the stock attic type fans to do the job. Note that this is not suggested for use during the winter, as it may cause negative pressure (and therefore flow reversal in the other chimneys).

No, I work in the Melville Marina building new yachts.

Thanks for the study, I will check the service chimney the next time up on the roof for the liner and am planning on fabricating a custom aluminum cap for the other chimney with cut-outs for two small curcular solar fans which are typically used in yacht companionway hatches. Hopefuller these wills serve to move some of the moist air our of the basemnt in the summertime and can be easily replaced with blanks in the fall to seal the chimney up for winter months.

Status
Not open for further replies.