Chimney clean look ok?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tahoostas

Jun 1, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
Hello. This look ok? I gave it plenty of sweeps, probably 10-12 times through. Taken from inside stove.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 162
Yes, looks good. However, it looks like the flue collar screws never penetrated the metal. If so, they aren't holding anything. Back them out, tap the metal flat, then predrill pilot holes for the screws.

Reactions: webby3650
Ya i noticed that too. The pipe is double wall and the scews go through the outer layer and the stove collar but i guess not the inner pipe layer. You think it's a big deal? It's definately held in place.

Reactions: ScotO
Wow. What are the chances of the moon being directly over the top of the pipe, just at the moment you took the pic? ==c

Yes, looks good. However, it looks like the flue collar screws never penetrated the metal
Are those screws or some kind of supports that the pipe bottoms against?

Looks nice and clean.

The screw thing. Is there some reason that you think you need screws on the bottom of a vertical double wall installation? I certainly don't use any screws at the stove and have passed inspections.

Firstly, how can you even do it? Did you use the screws to tap into the stove's collar? Did you crush the outer wall of the double wall?

Where do you think the pipe is going? It is locked in place by the screws that hold the telescoping section apart. Top and bottom are inside collars.

Get those screws out of there and try and reshape the bottom of the inner pipe. The way it is now, you have a leak at this location allowing cold air in and possibly smoke out. The cold air in will spoil your draft.

Where do you think the pipe is going?
With the quake you're due for, that pipe could end up half way to the road and your stove could by lying in the middle of the living room on its back! _g

Reactions: NortheastAl
Back the screws out and predrill the holes with an 1/8" bit. Then use some 3/4" SS screws to attach the pipe to the flue collar. I really doubt it's going anywhere, but screws are never a bad idea.

I don't think it's going anywhere! It's fastened on the outer wall of the double wall and tapped through the collar. That's how the installer did it. Here's a pic of the outside. image.jpg

I agree it's solid, but I still don't like giving smoke the option for a second pass on the outside of the double-wall. It would take about 10 minute to make it just right.

I agree it's solid, but I still don't like giving smoke the option for a second pass on the outside of the double-wall. It would take about 10 minute to make it just right.

Yeah that is my concern. That stuff is supposed to be blowing up the middle of that pipe. Not around it.

Fixed it up and realized my baffle gasket was gonzo... So replaced that. Ready for winter!

Good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.