Chimney clean/sweep standards

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jaysensation

Hearth Supporter
Sep 17, 2009
canada
Chimney clean/sweep standards
Hello, I attached a photo of my chimney that I cleaned/brushed from the roof today. It seems very clean to me, but I question whether the small amounts of glaze are actually dangerous or normal to have trace amounts. My plan is to install a new stainless rigid liner inside my current clay liner which is in the photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 248555
Hello, I attached a photo of my chimney that I cleaned/brushed from the roof today. It seems very clean to me, but I question whether the small amounts of glaze are actually dangerous or normal to have trace amounts. My plan is to install a new stainless rigid liner inside my current clay liner which is in the photo.
It should be cleaned better than that for a liner install. How do you plan on fitting insulation in there?

Thanks for the reply, I'm actually surprised you say it should be cleaned better than that, I thought I would get laughed at for being over cautious. I brushed it very thoroughly from the roof and the area's I had access to I tried to remove what was left with a wire brush and the difference was minimal. Are the little bits of black really a fire hazard under a rigid stainless liner?

The liner will not be insulated as the chimney runs through the center of my house.

Thanks for the reply, I'm actually surprised you say it should be cleaned better than that, I thought I would get laughed at for being over cautious. I brushed it very thoroughly from the roof and the area's I had access to I tried to remove what was left with a wire brush and the difference was minimal. Are the little bits of black really a fire hazard under a rigid stainless liner?

The liner will not be insulated as the chimney runs through the center of my house.
Does your chimney have the required clearance to combustibles? That is what determines the need for insulation. And internal chimneys actually require more clearance. I don't remember the Canadian requirements but I know they are similar to the us. Here it is 1" for an external chimney and 2" internal