chimney cleaning - Elite 44

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glousteau

Oct 22, 2016
Sunbury, OH
Hi there, total newbie to this site, but have been reading a bunch today.

I have a fireplace extrodinaire Elite 44 in my house. Last year we paid a local service to sweep the chimney. I was not home when this was done (my wife was here). It cost over a hundred bucks for about 15 minutes of work and I already own rods & brushes as I sweep my chimney on my barn wood stove annually. I decided to try sweeping the fireplace extrodinaire myself today; however, I was unsuccesful in getting the brush through the rectangular opening and into the round pipe. A few questions I was hoping someone could help me out with:
1)Is the 44 indeed an 8" pipe? I can't explicitly find this stated anywhere
2)Do I need special/unique brushes for this model fireplace? I couldn't get my 6" or 8" brush into it. My brushes are cylindrical with plastic bristles, maybe 8-10 long/tall. I've noticed some that are more conical and/or a disc? I'm thinking I need a different brush? Can you validate and recommend the correct/best one?
3)Do all brushes fit the same rods? I don't know for sure, but I think my rods are ~ 1/2" threads
4)Lastly, any reason to pay a professional to do this? Its messy/dirty, but not difficult and I'd much prefer to handle on my own.

Thanks
Greg

Welcome. The chimney is 8". Have you removed the baffle plate before cleaning? If you burn only dry wood and are thorough and don't have a serious issue like stage 3 creosote then yes, you can do it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.