Chimney cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohiojoe13

Feeling the Heat
Dec 22, 2014
alliance ohio
Yesterday I cleaned my chimney. Its double wall pipe. I used a soot eater and it knocked down alot of the build up but not all. So I tried again with a 6 inch poly brush. It got some more off but there is still a small amount of build up, maybe a 1/16 -1/8" in some spots. No tar dripping type build up. Is there anything else I can do? I'm not against calling a chimney sweep to do it but want to try myself first.

What is the nature of the build up? Is it sooty powder, bubbly carbon or black glaze?

This will be my 6th season burning with a Ashford 30. The last 2 years I have noticed more build up in my chimney. Could this be signs of a failing combustor?

This will be my 6th season burning with a Ashford 30. The last 2 years I have noticed more build up in my chimney. Could this be signs of a failing combustor?
Yes, there is a good chance it is on the last legs if it is being run 24/7.

In the straight part of pipe its a brown caked on soot. In the offset 45s its more of a black glaze
It might be easiest to take apart the stove pipe and clean the 45s individually with a scraper.

Had a chimney sweep come out today to sweep the chimney. He used something similar to a soot eater. He recommended that a use a creosote spray on one log a fire to help break it down. Does this sound right? Will it ruin my cat in my blazeking ashford?

Have you removed the cat for a thorough cleaning/inspection yet? 6 years...... Sure can't hurt! Buy the gasket and give it a look.

Had a chimney sweep come out today to sweep the chimney. He used something similar to a soot eater. He recommended that a use a creosote spray on one log a fire to help break it down. Does this sound right? Will it ruin my cat in my blazeking ashford?
interested in seeing what you've done. if you could update. what are final results?

Last edited by a moderator: