Chimney connector help please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fatrabbit

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2006
Cazenovia , NY
Newbie question here. I need to connect my stove(6") pipe to a 7' masonry flu pipe in my chimney. What should I use ? I looked at some selkirk dsp products but I am unsure if the masonry adapter is the right peice to use. Outside diameter is 6.5" and that leaves .5" of space. Is there another connctor/adaptor that would be better suited ?

fatrabbit said:
Newbie question here. I need to connect my stove(6") pipe to a 7' masonry flu pipe in my chimney. What should I use ? I looked at some selkirk dsp products but I am unsure if the masonry adapter is the right peice to use. Outside diameter is 6.5" and that leaves .5" of space. Is there another connctor/adaptor that would be better suited ?

why not buy a 6 to 7 adapter check out this link
http://www.ventingpipe.com/display.cfm?categoryID=515

http://www.woodstove-outlet.com/a64217.htm

Im installing a Dutchwest cat (Large) we had a mason put the chimey in , its about a 30' run. Built the hearth ourselves to spec , even had the inspector come out and aprove the setup. Its been a little work but should be well worth it. The house was built in 1874 and we have spent the better part of a year rehabing just the first floor! I wll post pics when I finish. Thanks again.

fatrabbit said:

Hello,

I am having a similar problem as this gent except there is no masonry involved. The stovepipe I purchased is Duravent 6" double wall. I purchased the Simpson increaser. As you can see from the pics the flu pipe that hangs down out of the transition box on the ceiling is only 1/2" long (just a lip) and not long enough to fit down into the increaser on its own.

I then purchaced the 7" Durablack chimney adapter http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1179 . This adapter will fit down into the increaser just fine but will not go over the collar on the ceiling box. The lip on the transition box is single wall 7".

Any ideas on how to make this happen correctly? No one I have talked to has a clue. Pics included. Thanks for any info.

Jeff P
Central Cal

Attachments

• Chimney connector help please
    Flucollar1.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 269
    Flucollar2.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 258
Seqouia said:
fatrabbit said:

Hello,

I am having a similar problem as this gent except there is no masonry involved. The stovepipe I purchased is Duravent 6" double wall. I purchased the Simpson increaser. As you can see from the pics the flu pipe that hangs down out of the transition box on the ceiling is only 1/2" long (just a lip) and not long enough to fit down into the increaser on its own.

I then purchaced the 7" Durablack chimney adapter http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1179 . This adapter will fit down into the increaser just fine but will not go over the collar on the ceiling box. The lip on the transition box is single wall 7".

Any ideas on how to make this happen correctly? No one I have talked to has a clue. Pics included. Thanks for any info.

Jeff P
Central Cal

the pipe is supposed to fit inside the lip the lip is there to attach 3 screws to fasten it in place to the ceiling box you may have to custom fit it meaning crimping the piece that fits into the box

crimpers can be bought a home depot usually found near the gutter downspout section on 24 gage black stove pipe they should work. you many have to run the crimpers around that pipe a couple of times to reduce it enough to make it fit

elkimmeg said:
the pipe is supposed to fit inside the lip the lip is there to attach 3 screws to fasten it in place to the ceiling box you may have to custom fit it meaning crimping the piece that fits into the box

crimpers can be bought a home depot usually found near the gutter downspout section on 24 gage black stove pipe they should work. you many have to run the crimpers around that pipe a couple of times to reduce it enough to make it fit

Thanks for the response. I bought some crimpers yesterday in anticipation of this possibility. Let me make sure I understand this completely. Please see the attached so I can insure I understand this correctly. Thanks a million. With any luck there will be heat for Thanksgiving.

Jeff P

Attachments

Stovepipe assembly.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 269
Status
Not open for further replies.