Chimney creosote help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MCC

Apr 20, 2022
ARGYLE, WISCONSIN
Hello again,

I posted earlier about this in my "First Chimney Sweep" thread. I swept my chimney 9 days ago. I have been burning nonstop since then with my Princess 32. I have installed a Condar probe style flue temp gauge and it is currently reading 400 degrees 18" above the stove. I went out and checked my cap and it had buildup on it and I have what looks like fresh creosote for the last foot or so of my chimney. I took a temp reading about 4 " down the pipe and am reading 220 degrees at this point while I'm getting the earlier mentioned 400 inside. What can I do to alleviate this issue? It seems to me I am losing a lot of heat in my 14' chimney.

Thanks,
Dan

c5.jpg c4.jpg c3.jpg c2.jpg c1.jpg

Wood is not seasoned, not burning hot enough. Have you took a moisture reading of the wood? Re-spilt a split and use a moisture meter on the fresh split side of the wood.

Yeah, the moisture in the wood is condensing on the chimney.

Give the wood more time to lose moisture and it won’t be there to condense.

Good on ya for checking the cap again. You’ll get this sorted out.