Chimney crown repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsHAM

Burning Hunk
May 28, 2015
WV
The house my wife and I purchased this past spring has an exterior masonry chimney that vents our Clayton furnace in the basement. While it certainly doesn't burn the cleanest and paired with my own paranoia / sense of safety , I sweep the flue monthly as we burn 24/7 for main heat source. I noticed the beginning of the season some minor cracks around the crown and had my uncle inspect the terra cotta liner which seen was also cracked where it rises out of the chimney. My plans are to reline this summer with a stainless liner but as far as the crown repair, is this something better left for a pro to do or simply purchase the brush crown saver sealers I'm seeing advertised.

As long as they are minor cracks and the crown is not deteriorated to badly a crown sealer will probably work fine for quite a while. We would need to see some pics for a better evaluation.

I have two relatives who have used crown sealant (not sure what brand), and it has held up for several years now. I'm more of a do it yourself kind of guy, so my inclination would be to brush that stuff on and see what happens. If money's no object, hire a mason to replace the crown on it.

Here's some pictures of one I did back in the fall. It can be pretty bad and still be repairable. I used chimney saver crown coat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 241
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 256
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 260
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 237
It doesn't seem to be deteriorated that bad just visible cracks and can assume that it's allowing moisture in and around my top terra cotta liner cooling it due to it being the only area we have glaze creosote, rest of flue brushes easily or flakes off on its own. I appreciate the follow ups.

Here's some pictures of one I did back in the fall. It can be pretty bad and still be repairable. I used chimney saver crown coat.
You and i disagree on that. I have not had any last that long when the crown is that bad to start off. But to each their own if it works well for you great. What prep do you do?

Wow that turned out nice ! Mine isnt quite that bad, the terra cotta just has hairline cracks but crown is showing some cracks similar to your second picture. just out of curiousosity what would I repair like that cost ?

You and i disagree on that. I have not had any last that long when the crown is that bad to start off. But to each their own if it works well for you great. What prep do you do?
I wire brush the entire crown, remove the dust, caulk all the cracks and then do a thin coat. Once it's tacked up I do a second coat. Even if the repair doesn't last as long as advertised, replacing the entire crown isn't an option financially for most people. A lot of people don't mind doing periodic maintenance on their home, the chimney is no different.

Wow that turned out nice ! Mine isnt quite that bad, the terra cotta just has hairline cracks but crown is showing some cracks similar to your second picture. just out of curiousosity what would I repair like that cost ?
If you do it yourself it can be done for less than $200.

Reactions: woodsHAM
Typically for crown coat we get $300 to $400. In my experience doing the same prep as webby sometimes with an acid wash we typically only get 3 to 5 years out of one which is why we don't do it much at all anymore. But a normal crown from us is $600 to $700 and should last 30+ years. Maybe I am not doing the crown coat right i don't know but to me it doesn't make sense. That is just my opinion i know lots of sweeps like the product I just don't.

Reactions: woodsHAM
Status
Not open for further replies.