chimney damper location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chumscustoms

Jan 29, 2009
se iowa
i am still trying to get my wood consumption down on my crappy vogelzang norseman 2500, It was with the property when i bought the house so i am useing it for the meanwhile
I have been told to put a damper in the chimney, so i put a barometric draft damper in and that did not help at all
then i was told to put a damper inside the chimeny to restrict the heat from leaveing so quickly and adjust this damper to acheive proper chimney temp.
I am fine to do anything i really dont care but do any of these things make since or is it not correct
my chimney temp at this moment is 180 to 200
if i increase fire at all it goes through wood like a mad man.
please help
thanks ben

Put your internal damper as far from the stove as posible, still in the single wall pipe.

I'm not a pro, but if it is a butterfly damper, in-flue, I would tend to put it near the stove. If you put it away from the stove, when you use the damper to restrict the flow of combustion products, then, under varying draft conditions, you may get leakage at joints between flue pipe sections. I definitely saw this with my old wood/ hot air furnace, which had an in-flue damper.

Never experienced that, but just to be clear, the reason to put it high up the pipe is to increase the area of pipe in the room helping to heat.

I always put mine about 24 inches above the exhaust outlet of the stove, furnace or boiler. I've had regular cast iron dampers on all three types of appliances, and wouldn't want to operate without one. You really will save wood, as you will be able to control the draft and thus keep some of the hot air from being wasted up the chimney. Plus, they come in handy in the event of a chimney fire. And damping the stove down is a good way to extend your burn on a cold night.

I don't currently have a damper on my gasifier because excess draft is not a problem. But any conventional wood-burner will benefit greatly from the addition of a $5 cast iron damper, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.