Chimney Damper 'rod' question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jul 14, 2017
Virginia
Hello,
Trying to figure out what kind of key/rod to purchase in order to use our damper. Pictures attached. The 'hole' is 15 inches deep. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Background - have only ever been to use the damper by manually torquing the screw from the inside with a wrench. Not an ideal situation. When we purchased our home, the sellers agreed to convert the fireplace to a gas burning stove. But, I'd still like to get the old damper working. Plus, I'd like to open it, and add a top damper to better seal the chimney.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Chimney Damper 'rod' question
    IMG_1184.JPG
    312.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Chimney Damper 'rod' question
    IMG_1186.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 81
I'm thinkin you will have to remove the innards in order to see how
the rod was connected or how the mechanism actually worked.
Once you have it apart, a new driver can be fabricated.

I'm thinkin you will have to remove the innards in order to see how
the rod was connected or how the mechanism actually worked.
Once you have it apart, a new driver can be fabricated.

If it's accessible to disassemble. I think the type of driver could be determined with careful probing using a 90 degree dental pick.

The rod is usually 1/4" square stock. I cant be sure on yours because because i have never seen your particular mechanism. But i have never see one that used anything else.