Chimney Draft Calculator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battenkiller

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2009
Just Outside the Blue Line
I found this spreadsheet while searching for draft info. It is a draft calculator and stove modeling tool created in Excel.

http://www.bioenergylists.org/stovesdoc/Crispin/draftcalc.htm

I haven't played with it yet, but it seems pretty inclusive as to most of the common variables found in various installs and burning scenarios. If you can figure out how to use it, it may give some theoretical answers to questions regarding flue problems encountered in marginal installations. You can download it from this page, but you must un-protect it before you can change cell contents to actually use it. Just go to the "Tools" menu in Excel and go to the "Protection" sub-menu and click "Unprotect sheet" (no password is required). This is a screen capture of what it looks like:

Attachments

• Draft-Calculator.jpg
    Draft-Calculator.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 1,628
BLIMP said:
thaNX,BOOKMARKED, long read

Yeah.... uh, actually now that I tried playing with it... I realize that it was written for small wood fired cooking stoves. :red:

Still, it is pretty neat and I am interested to see what happens to the model when I change some of the figures (like changing MC in the wood from 12% to 42% lol). It won't be solving anyone's draft issues, but it could provide hours of intellectual stimulation that might be better spent out there cutting and splitting wood. %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.