Chimney Fire and expensive solution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I suggest if you get a heat pump to also get a generator for back-up power. I read that the electrical supply for California may be threatened with the severe weather. Hydropower is kaput due to the droughts. Transmission lines are threatened by stronger winds and forest fires.
Propane may be a good backup in the winter even if it is expensive. Maybe use it if the water pipes are facing freezing weather with the electricity out.

I suggest if you get a heat pump to also get a generator for back-up power. I read that the electrical supply for California may be threatened with the severe weather. Hydropower is kaput due to the droughts. Transmission lines are threatened by stronger winds and forest fires.
Propane may be a good backup in the winter even if it is expensive. Maybe use it if the water pipes are facing freezing weather with the electricity out.
Power outages are the norm and I have learned to live with them. That's why I have a wood stove ✌️

A wood stove will prevent freezing of water pipes even if it is small for keeping a home comfortable.

Reactions: VintageGal
At your propane and firewood prices, propane is over 2x more expensive per BTU delivered to your living area. (assuming a 95% efficient propane furnace and a 75% efficient wood stove). If you have suitable wood on your land or available on nearby USFS or BLM land or through scrounging, it's "free" (not counting your time and whatever fuel and equipment you need to process it).

When I was living up on the north coast with little money I scrounged wood from the waste pile from the local mill.

Power outages are the norm and I have learned to live with them. That's why I have a wood stove ✌️
You've done well. I can appreciate the challenge of getting this done. Some parts of Northern California are pretty remote. Are you at a high altitude, like up on the Siskyou plateau? It gets chilly up there.

A wood stove will prevent freezing of water pipes even if it is small for keeping a home comfortable.
My little wood burner is toasty warm today with a few oak splits thrown in every few hours. I have a smile on my face and even took a nap today. 😁
You've done well. I can appreciate the challenge of getting this done. Some parts of Northern California are pretty remote. Are you at a high altitude, like up on the Siskyou plateau? It gets chilly up there.
I'm in the northern Sierra Nevada Mountain foothills. My elevation is 1400 ft. We are rural and my small property is zoned agricultural. It doesn't get very cold for a very long. But when it does....