Chimney Fire In A Stainless Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinterlander

Dec 5, 2005
Mid-Michigan
I have burned very successfully for 9 years with my Lopi Revere without incident. This year due to the extreme cold weather, I have been doing lots of low/slow overnight and mid-day burns using ash cut last summer. My two year seasoned firewood was tough to access due to the 2 to 3 feet of snow. One afternoon, my wife raked coals and restarted and must have left the bypass open. She said she had a chimney fire that she caught immedately, then shut off primary air and shoved a towel in the air intake by the dampner. From start to finish, the incident lasted about 25 minutes, with the "roaring" lasting about 10. I have not used it since (very painful).

The uninsulated stainless liner runs inside a 8" double wall steel pre-fab chimney, about 25 feet to the top of the chase. The liner is rated for 2100 degrees. I checked the flue cap and found some chunks of burned creosote, but no evidence of damage on top - just really dirty up there. I plan to have the liner scoped before next season.

Has anyone here found a stainless liner damaged from a chimney fire? Should I expect to replace it?

Yes I have seen quite a few burnt out but those usually had multiple fires. Is your liner heavy or light wall liner. Either way if this really is your first fire it is probably ok but definatly have it scanned.

My neighbor who is unfortunate "expert" on chimney fires, he burnt out a stainless steel liner after few fires. The liner was installed in a masonry chimney after multiple chimney fires finally cracked his tiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.