Chimney liner advice, please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooperdave

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2010
Michigan's U.P.
I have no experience with chimney liners for wood stoves and am seeking recommendations
I understand that the size of the liner needs to be matched to the appliance (wood furnace in this case) and that the liner should be insulated.
My questions are, smooth or corrugated liner?
How much insulation is needed...only at the top section?...for a distance of...?.
Do you pull the liner right into the room where the furnace is; if you can? (basement)
Thanks.

Are you running the liner up an existing stack?, If not, you need to be looking at stove pipe & class A piping.
Yes best to insulate the liner, and go all the way. Flex is either "smooth" wall or corrugated, either will work fine.
You can also get pre insulated double wall rigid liner that is truly smooth.
The theory is smoother is better for flow.
You may want to have the moderators move this to the hearth room or boiler/furnace room for more exposure and replies.
Depends on what your pulling the liner through and if it comes straight down onto the furnace, or going through a wall or thimble as to what you need to connect the liner to.

What Hog said.
I'd add that corrugated may be easier to install if you have bends in the chimney. It can also be one continuous piece. Smooth will come in sections that need to be joined as you insert them from the tiop.
You can insulate with a material that is installed around the liner as you install or you can seal the bottom and pour vermiculite or other materials from the top to fill in the space between liner and the original flue.
Seal around the liner at the bottom and the top BTW.

Thanks Hog and Semi.
I've installed a few aluminum liners but realize that a wood stove would eat those up!
I also searched this site for info and got a (long winded) article that was helpful.
Then I went to you tube and pretty much learned quite a bit from the vid I'm linking. I did call a few suppliers around the u. p. and had no luck as well as stopping in a few stores. Ended up calling Rockford and can't believe the price of these kits!!
Right now, I'm trying to find a lower price.
The application is for someone else that I will help. It is a one story ranch with a wood furnace and masonry chimney that was inspected by a business and cautioned against using the chimney for burning wood....then offered to fix it with a liner kit for the tune of $2500!
I think after the purchase of the kit, the two of us should be able to knock that project off in a bit over an hour, no?

Depends on how easy the liner fits and goes down the old flue. And then connecting to the furnace.
Could be anywhere from an hour to several.
Did you try Chimneylinerdepot? they have some good pricing. I thought Rockford used to be very reasonable too. Maybe that changed?

Depends on how easy the liner fits and goes down the old flue. And then connecting to the furnace.
Could be anywhere from an hour to several.
Did you try Chimneylinerdepot? they have some good pricing. I thought Rockford used to be very reasonable too. Maybe that changed?

Thanks Hog. I checked the two sites you suggested and found that chimney liner depot was about $100 less expensive. Just waiting on the homeowners go ahead on this one

Good to hear. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.