Chimney Liner and Insert Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angryhippie

Nov 5, 2014
Dayton, OH
Hopefully this question is in the right place. I have a 1916 bungalow. Originally the fireplace would have been flush with the wall and at some point the previous owners added brick in front of the original fireplace extending the whole thing out into the room and installed a hearth stove.

Unfortunately they installed the 24' single wall stove pipe incorrectly upside down so that creosote will seep out of the joints. Additionally, they used 8' pipe up the chimney, then cut it down to make a "home made" adapter into a 6" 90 elbow (no tee) and then into the 6" stove pipe. The elbow fell apart today when I removed the stove to look at cleaning everything out. We took down several trees so I am hoping to burn wood this winter. I have several questions that I hope I can get things setup correctly.

1) I think I know the answer to this one, but should I look at relining the whole thing up to the roof, and would flex liner be the best choice for this?

2) the wife isn't a big fan of the stove in the middle of the floor and would like an insert instead. The firebox seems small, do they make an insert that would fit in the opening and would I be able to remove the firebrick to make something fit? (I have included pictures with the dimensions below

3) Do I need a cleanout tee? There is not enough room in there today to have one, so can I remove the firebrick to install it?

Here is the link with all the pictures to help show what I'm talking about: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/bvtrahm1jji3w1e/AABtvluxmxQJ7DbaFyA1REzVa

Thanks in advance for any help

Howdy!!

I would certainly reline the entire thing. The current/previous setup is dangerous. It never fails to surprise me the things I see here...

See if you can fit an insulated 6 inch up there. Lots of folks on this forum sell/install liners. They will be able to chime in shortly!

I think you'll be needing to take the firebrick out of there. It's the depth that is overly small. 12 inch depth doesn't give you any options for an insert. The smallest ones I know of are 15 inches deep.

With a new liner and the removal of the firebrick, I don't see the need for a Tee. just go straight into the stove with the liner.

Cheers and welcome to the forums!

Andrew

Yes it needs relined for sure flex would be fine that really is just about all we use anymore. As far as removing firebrick you may be able to you may not we would need to know more about the construction and clearances around that fire box to be sure

Is there another area of the house that you can put in a free standing stove?

Welcome to the forums !

Is there another area of the house that you can put in a free standing stove?

Welcome to the forums !
Not really, we live in a pretty modest sized home coming in at just over 1600sqft. The living room, kitchen, and dining room are on the first floor, everything else is up. Our living room is long and narrow running the whole length of the first floor, so we can't really move it to anywhere else in the room without giving up places to put furniture.

What do you need to know? I will also add that the chimney is on the exterior wall of the house.
mainly you would need to confirm that there is enough masonry past those fire brick to maintain the necessary clearance to combustibles as well as that they are not structural at all. From looking at it i would guess they were simply added after the fact and can be taken out but i cant be sure

Status
Not open for further replies.