Chimney Liner question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WesM

Nov 13, 2021
Maryland USA
So I plan to line my masonry chimney for a Drolet Columbia II wood stove install. Is there any significant difference between these two liners? I like being able to source the HD one locally, but if the Vortex is better quality, I will go with that.

So I plan to line my masonry chimney for a Drolet Columbia II wood stove install. Is there any significant difference between these two liners? I like being able to source the HD one locally, but if the Vortex is better quality, I will go with that.

They are both cheap lightwall liners I doubt there is much of any difference. Don't forget insulation wrap for them.

Reactions: WesM
Are you sure? The Vortex liner is an SBI product so most likely it's a Ventis liner which should be good quality. I'm trying to locate the specs for it now. Maybe it's a value line by Ventis?

Are you sure? The Vortex liner is an SBI product so most likely it is a Ventis liner which should be good quality. I'm trying to locate the specs for it now.
The components of the vortex system do look like Olympia's forever flex components. But that is still just cheap lightwall liner. Which works fine it is just the minimum thickness suitable for wood and won't last as long as a heavier liner. The one from home Depot looks like a Copperfield system which used to be owned by the same holding company as home Depot. But Olympia now owns Copperfield as well.

Reactions: begreen
They are both cheap lightwall liners I doubt there is much of any difference. Don't forget insulation wrap for them.
You mention them being cheap/thin wall, would this effect their ability to be ovalized?

I have a neighbor who owns a chimney service. He said he has the correct equipment to ovalize liners and is happy to do it for me (I helped him build a deck last year, we kinda have a quid pro quo thing going on). My chimney terracotta liner is 6.5x11, so I plan on taking him up on the offer so I can insulate my liner.

You also mentioned the liners longevity might be affected. So what are we talking about as far as a liner lifespan if cleaned once a year... 5 years, 10 years, 15 years?

You mention them being cheap/thin wall, would this effect their ability to be ovalized?

I have a neighbor who owns a chimney service. He said he has the correct equipment to ovalize liners and is happy to do it for me (I helped him build a deck last year, we kinda have a quid pro quo thing going on). My chimney terracotta liner is 6.5x11, so I plan on taking him up on the offer so I can insulate my liner.

You also mentioned the liners longevity might be affected. So what are we talking about as far as a liner lifespan if cleaned once a year... 5 years, 10 years, 15 years?
Yes regular lightwall can be ovalized. And typically we are seeing 10 to 15 years out of lightwall liners when the stove is used as a main source of heat. 25 to 30 for heavy wall. Midweight hasn't been around long enough to know but I would expect close to heavy wall on a modern stove

I emailed Drolet about the liner since they sell it and are associated with the company. Definitely a lightweight liner. They said its .005 wall thickness.

That is lightweight. The HD liner is .006" wall thickness.

If you're going to ovalize do you need a liner larger than 6"?

If you're going to ovalize do you need a liner larger than 6"?
I honestly do not know if it makes a difference, I assume it must, but how much? I know it will reduce the cross section from around 28.3 square inches for a 6" dia pipe to 24 square inches for a 5x7 oval according to the rockford calculator. In the manual for the Columbia it says that you can use a 5" dia flue, but only in Canada (code I assume?) and would need 25 feet of chimney, I only have 19 feet. 5" dia pipe is only 19.6 square inch cross section.

I could go to a 6.5" oval and maintain the same cross section area, but that really start to get expensive, since they also require special ovalized Ts and connections.

I checked my chimney and the brick is smack up against the exterior wall with no gap (standard 2x4 exterior framed wall on 1st floor), so I assume going with a naked liner is not an option, would have to be insulated.

Reactions: bholler
Also wanted to ask, would something like this be suitable for insulating the liner? Seems to be rated for the correct temps in the Drolet liner manual and is the correct thickness/density.

Then glue/wrap in foil tape and chicken wire?

Also wanted to ask, would something like this be suitable for insulating the liner? Seems to be rated for the correct temps in the Drolet liner manual and is the correct thickness/density.

Then glue/wrap in foil tape and chicken wire?
Just get a listed insulation kit so you have a ul listed system

Just get a listed insulation kit so you have a ul listed system

Ok, was just curious if that product would technically be in code, or if the lack of UL listing would disqualify it. Seemed pretty darn cheap for 50' if it would work and pass inspection.

This is what I used.
Rockford Chimney Supply Chimney Liner Insulation Blanket Kit, 3 to 6 Inch Diameter x 25 Feet Amazon product ASIN B00RH4UWLO

That is the other one I was looking at vs the product I found at HD, will probably go ahead and order that liner.

Last edited:
Ok, was just curious if that product would technically be in code, or if the lack of UL listing would disqualify it. Seemed pretty darn cheap for 50' if it would work and pass inspection.

That is the other one I was looking at vs the product I found at HD, will probably go ahead and order that liner.
It will not meet code no.