Chimney Liner - To insulate or not to insulate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KPF

Nov 20, 2020
Virginia
I plan on installing a Drolet escape 1800 insert with a 6in stainless steel liner. The chimney is about 21 ft. tall. We had it re-lined with a 10inch stainless steel liner about 10 years ago because of damage to many of the clay tiles. They filled in around the liner with cement (or something similar). Since I already have good insulation with the 10 inch liner do I need to insulate the new 6 inch liner? Also if I line it up properly I should have 2 inches clearance between the two liners.

I plan on installing a Drolet escape 1800 insert with a 6in stainless steel liner. The chimney is about 21 ft. tall. We had it re-lined with a 10inch stainless steel liner about 10 years ago because of damage to many of the clay tiles. They filled in around the liner with cement (or something similar). Since I already have good insulation with the 10 inch liner do I need to insulate the new 6 inch liner? Also if I line it up properly I should have 2 inches clearance between the two liners.
If it is properly insulated already you don't need to. But it will be easy to do and extra insulation is always better

How far up the chimney is indoors? I have the same stove and chiney size. For me, much of the chiney is fully surround between house and garage, it's not totally outside the whole run. The garage is not heated but I fgigured this is a warmer chimney than some others. I went no insulation and it's been totally fine. Low creosote each year cleaning. I can't see how insulation would change my setup much

How far up the chimney is indoors? I have the same stove and chiney size. For me, much of the chiney is fully surround between house and garage, it's not totally outside the whole run. The garage is not heated but I fgigured this is a warmer chimney than some others. I went no insulation and it's been totally fine. Low creosote each year cleaning. I can't see how insulation would change my setup much
It would bring it up to code. And prevent a possible safety issue

Reactions: ctswf
basically all outside. I went without. So far working great. I am impressed with the Drolet. At the low cost point I was a bit concerned but been burning in it for almost a week, it kicks out the heat, I can control the burn, has coals int he morning to get it started right back up, would buy again. A huge improvement over my energy wasting 1960's fireplace.

Hi Everyone - hoping to get folks to weigh in on a proposal I have from a contractor to install a new woodstove. I am installing a Woodstock soapstone Progress Hybrid woodstove in a centrally-located hearth that has a chimney running up the middle of the house. The contractor is putting 6" liner down the existing chimney (house was built in 1982, so it's recent construction) to hook up to the woodstove, and will put a block plate with high-temp silicone sealant where the stovepipe enters the chimney. He has stated that insulating the liner above the block plate is not necessary, as one of the benefits is having the heat from the liner radiate out & warm the chimney stack throughout the house. And that makes sense to me. I have seen various threads here that promote installing insulation above the block plate when there is an external chimney, which makes sense but doesn't apply to my situation. I am wondering whether all of you seasoned veterans agree that no insulation above the block plate is necessary, and further - would make sense to insulate the liner at the top of the chimney to keep some of the heat in the stack & not let it escape? My contractor gave the opinion that doing so may not be beneficial b/c it could get wet & break down over time (FYI, he is also installing a bluestone plate above the top of the flue to prevent future rainwater damage to the chimney/flue).

Thanks for your help! Just want to make sure we're doing this right :)

Hi Everyone - hoping to get folks to weigh in on a proposal I have from a contractor to install a new woodstove. I am installing a Woodstock soapstone Progress Hybrid woodstove in a centrally-located hearth that has a chimney running up the middle of the house. The contractor is putting 6" liner down the existing chimney (house was built in 1982, so it's recent construction) to hook up to the woodstove, and will put a block plate with high-temp silicone sealant where the stovepipe enters the chimney. He has stated that insulating the liner above the block plate is not necessary, as one of the benefits is having the heat from the liner radiate out & warm the chimney stack throughout the house. And that makes sense to me. I have seen various threads here that promote installing insulation above the block plate when there is an external chimney, which makes sense but doesn't apply to my situation. I am wondering whether all of you seasoned veterans agree that no insulation above the block plate is necessary, and further - would make sense to insulate the liner at the top of the chimney to keep some of the heat in the stack & not let it escape? My contractor gave the opinion that doing so may not be beneficial b/c it could get wet & break down over time (FYI, he is also installing a bluestone plate above the top of the flue to prevent future rainwater damage to the chimney/flue).

Thanks for your help! Just want to make sure we're doing this right :)
Did your contractor verify that you have 2" clearance between the outside of the masonry structure and any combustible materials? If not he has absolutely no idea if insulation is required by code or not. Insulation first and foremost is a safety measure not a performance one. Yes there are clear performance gains from insulation regardless of interior or exterior chimney but safety wise insulation is more important for internal ones