chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpeterb

Jul 15, 2009
Western PA
I am in need of an insulated chimney liner. My eko is working great, but I am noticing that there is a lot of smoke making its way between the masonry liner and the brick and escaping through a small crack between the existing liner and the brick. I have also noticed that I can smell the chimney really badly in my house, and there are black streaks beginning to seap through the brick. I think, for safety sake, that I should install a flex liner with insulation. Does anyone have suggestions as to what kind is best and, more importantly, the most economical place to purchase a kit?

I installed a liner that I bought on line from Rockford supply.I am very happy with the liner and I found Rockford very easy to deal with. I installed it myself and although it was not easy it can be done.

If you have a straight flue, you might be better off to get a rigid liner that goes in sort of like black iron stove pipe - Many report that it is easier to clean and generally better than the flex liners. It would also have the advantage of fewer seams, since you just have the connections at the joints, rather than that spiral seam that goes with the flex liner. If you have a flue that is mostly straight, but just flexes at the end, you can also combine the two - this is quite common when doing inserts into a fireplace - rigid w/ 5' of flex on the end to get around the smoke shelf...

You might try doing a search on the topic in the Hearth room, I know there always used to be a lot of discussion about liners and such there...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.