Q&A Chimney Liners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Gentlepersons, I need to drill into a ceramic chimney liner to develop an additional flu entry for my new wood stove. What's the best drill bit and power tool to use to achieve this task...drill holes into the ceramic flu without cracking the flu.

Answer:

I use a carbide masonry drill bit. We've used both regular drills and hammer drills and usually drill a series of holes around the perimeter of the hole. Them, simply use a hammer or hammer/masonry chisel to break out the tile.

If you use a hammer drill, a setting that is less percussion and more revolutions may work best...depends on the hardness of the terra cotta.

Status
Not open for further replies.