Chimney looks sketchy......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mjstef

Oct 4, 2009
Northwoods of Wisconsin
Was getting ready to drop in a liner to install a Lopi Answer insert when i found this. It is the joint between the 1st and 2nd sections of flue from the ZC fireplace which was installed when the house was built in 2004......

Attachments

• chimney.jpg
    chimney.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 181
Stop the install, does the ZC fireplace approve of having a wood burning insert installed with in it? Most zero clearance units do not approve of this type of install because there not designed / built for the type of heat that radiates off of the insert when running full bore, some zero clearance units are built for ambient burning only and not continuous use.

Inserts have a convective jacket. The insert is not going to radiate more heat than the direct exposure of flame in the fireplace. The issue is one of an untested setup voiding the UL testing. Some ZC fireplaces by Heatilator do allow inserts installed.

Inserts have a convective jacket. The insert is not going to radiate more heat than the direct exposure of flame in the fireplace. The issue is one of an untested setup voiding the UL testing. Some ZC fireplaces by Heatilator do allow inserts installed.
No it will not radiate more heat but as said above most are meant only for occasional recreational fires. And many inserts are run 24/7. Which means a little less heat wirhout the air moving through the firebox like it would in an open fireplace over a much longer time. This could mean more heat transfer. We simply dont know because in most cases it simply was never tested. In addition with the chimney looking like that there was obviously not a full level 3 inspection done before the install like there should be to ensure proper installation of the fireplace. So even if the fireplace is one that allows for an insert to be installed i would not move forward without a full inspection including pulling the case cover and inspecting everything hidden in that chase.

Yeah, My thoughts exactly. Lopi answer is ok for the install per their manual as FP mfg is listed. Problem is the chimney appears like it got too hot and collapsed. Not really comfortable stuffing a liner down it after seeing this. My only option now is to yank the ZC and install a ZC sealed fireplace.....

My thoughts exactly. Lopi answer is ok for the install per their manual as FP mfg is listed.
the problem is that the fireplace manufacturer also has to ok it