Chimney partially external...evil??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunny

Oct 29, 2014
Canada
Hi there, I'd like any advice I can get on a chimney that will have 9' of it insulated (within house) and 19' external. Got worried after reading the article "The Evil External Chimney". Worried about backdraft.

The house is a new build, 2 story (2800 sq ft) and will have a large zc fireplace with the intent of heating most of the house in a very cold climate.
The fireplace will protrude off the side of the house in an insulated chase box 9' high, and the chimney will pop out for the rest of the length.

(PS: The location of the fireplace changed during the build so having the chimney all inside is not an option, neither is building an insulated chase all the way to the top. )

Anyone have a similar setup? If so, any problems?

Thanks in advance

Oh, and it just crossed my mind that maybe we could put a bend in the chimney at 9' (where the insulated chase ends) and have it turn into the house and travel through the second floor indoors and out the roof.
Would this be viable?
What's more evil: a partially external chimney, or a chimney with 2, 45 degree bends?

Random thoughts . . .

I think you mean a reverse draft and not a backdraft . . . at least in my business . . . a backdraft is a very, very different thing from a reverse draft situation with a chimney.

Exterior chimneys . . . there are a lot of variables . . . but I can only tell you with my own experience with an exterior chimney (at least with a Class A insulated metal chimney). Other than in early fall and late Spring I have no issue with the draft (due to the length in part I believe) and even now it's not that difficult to get a draft going . . . I often can do this with an open window and top down fires.

As for the excessive creosote from cooling . . . haven't seen this to be a problem. Then again, I burn well seasoned wood, run the stove at the right temps and keep a close eye on the creosote build up.

As for losing heat from the chimney . . . I've always said I heat my house with my stove and not with my chimney.

Of course, this is, as mentioned, with a Class A metal chimney and not a traditional masonry exterior chimney.

Hi there, I'd like any advice I can get on a chimney that will have 9' of it insulated (within house) and 19' external. Got worried after reading the article "The Evil External Chimney". Worried about backdraft.

The house is a new build, 2 story (2800 sq ft) and will have a large zc fireplace with the intent of heating most of the house in a very cold climate.
The fireplace will protrude off the side of the house in an insulated chase box 9' high, and the chimney will pop out for the rest of the length.

(PS: The location of the fireplace changed during the build so having the chimney all inside is not an option, neither is building an insulated chase all the way to the top. )

Anyone have a similar setup? If so, any problems?

Thanks in advance

Your going to heat a 2800 sq ft house with a zc fireplace?

Thanks firefighter jake for your thoughts...good to know its working for you. How long is your chimney?

And gzecc, I should re-word: what I meant is we'll attempt to heat as much of the house as we can with wood....the main level is very open, and we're running a duct to the second level hallway where the bedrooms are. We will still have electric baseboards in each room, but want to minimize their use as much as possible.
Considering the fpx...

24-28 feet ... best guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.