Chimney Pass Thru Options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jaydubz18

Nov 11, 2023
Upstate New York
Hello Everyone,

My first post, so if I am doing anything incorrectly please let me know.

I have an old fisher wood stove with a brick surround. My 6inch OD passes into what appears to be a clay 6inch ID that goes to my block chimney. The clay has some cracks in it so I was curious as to what options I have for a pass thru. I'm concerned the cracks will cause heat to escape and catch something in my walls. Which would not be fun. I'm just looking for a safe way to fix this without spending the 10000 dollars the chimney place quoted me.

My first thought was maybe a double wall pipe in my wall that the 6 inch from my stove connects to? No idea if that is doable, or proper.

Any advice I would deeply appreciate! Attached are some photos for reference. This was all installed when I purchased the house.

Thank you!
-Joe

16997576744895774383627424811317.jpg 16997576997548950849961115185889.jpg 16997577206272195407720750773552.jpg 16997577647542291684052621801699.jpg

What is behind the brick wall? Any combustibles?

What is behind the brick wall? Any combustibles
The hole leads directly into a self standing chimney outside. In between the chimney and the wall is my normal siding. So I assume there is wood and insulation in there, but I can't be sure.

The photo attached is where the pipe goes into my chimney outside. I can see there is siding between them. This is why I'm not quite sure what to do.

16997586461268890422941461797935.jpg

Last edited:
The hole leads directly into a self standing chimney outside. In between the chimney and the wall is my normal siding. So I assume there is wood and insulation in there, but I can't be sure.
Then.you are going to need an insulated thimble. Did they check the liner as well?

Then.you are going to need an insulated thimble. Did they check the liner as well?
This was last year they checked it, and I apologize for my ignorance. By liner do you mean inside the chimney itself? They said the chimney looked good. It's just the pass thru they were concerned about. The quote they gave me was to basically tear down all the brick on the wall with the hole and rebuild it with new passthru that is insulated.

No need to tear it all down at all

No need to tear it all down at all
I didn't think so, it seemed a bit overkill to me. So you think just an insulated thimble. Perhaps just pull out the bricks surrounding the hole and remove the clay pass thru. And install the thimble? That doesn't sound too bad. The clay is only 6inchs wide. Anything insulated I imagine would be at least 7. So that should come out to replace right?

Thank you for helping me. I really appreciate it.