Chimney pipe cost VS Quality???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm installing a wood stove in the shop area & am taking all safety precautions possible. Coldest it gets here is 15 degrees. Shoulder season as some would call it.
I need 6' worth of double wall with a telescoping section, 2 elbows, roof support box then 7' worth of class A chimney pipe with all the flashing & so on to complete the job. Its a mostly straight up install, just need to swing the pipe around a truss.
I priced supervent from Lowes, around 6-7 hundred bucks.
I also called 2 stove shops, one local that has metal fab & they priced it at 1,249.77. Metal fab is a good brand I read.
The other shop priced it about 1,150.00, thats duratec but I dont think its the best, only galvy exterior double wall while the Metal fab brand is triple wall ss.
So I am just looking to hear your thoughts. Kinda leaning towards metal fab but way pricey. Supervent is more in my price range but then I think about the quality & price becomes irrelevant, I can not take chances on burning the place down to save a few bucks....
What would you do?
Metal fab vs supervent...Thanks, Mike

Triple wall does not mean better. My preference is DuraTech, but I would probably go with the Supervent if that was the other option. DuraTech galvanized is every bit as good. The galv. exterior is for cost savings. They also sell the same pipe with a stainless jacket. We have the stainless DuraTech for our house chimney and the galvanized for our greenhouse stove. I suspect that the price for the DuraTech stainless would be about the same as the MF.

Check here for some comparison pricing.

http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=46

I've used Supervent on my last two houses, without any issues. When I researched it, Supervent was the only brand that I found rated for two chimney fires (10min @ 2100::F I think), all others that I found were only rated for one.

A friend of mine has used and abused it in his shop for the last 9 years. He has a pre EPA modified with the air fed under the fire and a used motor oil drip. This stove gets red hot on a daily basis, some times for hours at a time. He burns out the single wall connector pipe every year but the Supervent hasn't had any problems. No, he won't change his ways.

ICC Excel has an excellent Canadian fire rating. ULC 629. It is rated to withstand 3, 30 minute chimney fires.

Check your local country hardware store. Last year I installed SS double wall chimney just longer than what you want for around $500. I used Selkirk Metalbest pipe. All I needed was a flat ceiling kit and 2 4ft sections. The store even offered to store it in their shed until I was ready. The hw store's price blew the competition away.

MattMatt

Status
Not open for further replies.