Chimney Pipe installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DonRodarte

Oct 4, 2023
Knoxville, TN
I'm installing a Heatilator EL42. My first length using is 2' pipe then having to use a 90° elbow to get in line past the ridge in the roof. One elbow is not going to be enough. Can I used a second to get the clearance need? Will the straps on the elbow be enough to support? I asked the distributor if it was needed to apply a beed of heat resistant caulking and he said no? The double wall piping locks into place and will be fine? As my elbow goes towards the ceiling ( plywood since this is going into an existing screened patio) the pipe will be about 3-4" away from the insulated wall (no paper). Should I put a sheet of Hardy Backer on the wall for extra fire protection?
Sorry for so many questions. I just want to do it right and not burn my house down. This part scares me more after reading a lot

There are no 90º elbows in chimney pipe. The largest offset angle is 30º. From the installation manual:

WARNING! Risk of Fire! DO NOT use offset/returns greater than 30°. Chimney draft will be restricted and could cause overheating and fire. Secure offsets with screws ( not to exceed 1/2” / 13 mm in length) Secure returns with strapping. Straight chimney sections may be secured with screws. Keep chimney sections from separating or twisting.

Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 11.38.47 AM.png