Chimney pipe water leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Camarillo

Dec 27, 2018
Grand Prairie tx
I found a water drop on the side wall of the chimney pipe. Last night was raining hard and windy can that be the issue? I attached a couple of pictures of the chimney.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181227-100859.jpg
    Screenshot_20181227-100859.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20181226_164623.jpg
    IMG_20181226_164623.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 85
I found a water drop on the side wall of the chimney pipe. Last night was raining hard and windy can that be the issue? I attached a couple of pictures of the chimney.
Hello Cam,
That can be a common problem when it's raining sideways with the wind blowing like a S.O.B. I have experienced the same issue sometimes with a small amount of water running down the length of my stove pipe inside. I have a good Chimney / spark arrestor cap and a good seal where the shingles are so I know it's related to strong wind driven rains. It very seldom shows up but when it does it pisses me off also. No cause for alarm unless it happens every time it rains with no wind. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
Hello Cam,
That can be a common problem when it's raining sideways with the wind blowing like a S.O.B. I have experienced the same issue sometimes with a small amount of water running down the length of my stove pipe inside. I have a good Chimney / spark arrestor cap and a good seal where the shingles are so I know it's related to strong wind driven rains. It very seldom shows up but when it does it pisses me off also. No cause for alarm unless it happens every time it rains with no wind. Hope this helps.

IMO, that pretty well sums it up. Sideways rain will get into places it was never meant to be. As long as it is just a seldom occurrence, and dries quickly, it should'nt be an issue. My south facing stove also gets a puddle on the hearth pad when the rain comes in hard from the south. The wind just powers it through.