Chimney Question for PE Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ICY99

Hearth Supporter
Sep 29, 2008
CENTRAL, NY
Does anyone have any experience with a PE Summit overfiring because of too much draft? I am about to install a Summit but I'm a little concerned about overdraft because I've had a bad experience with another uncontrollable stove (will be new topic). Should the EBT protect against a 'good' draft?

My chimney (6"): 15' class A with approx 4.5 feet of singlewall stovepipe.

Thank you very much for any responses

With about 19' on the Alderlea T6 I notice a remarkable difference in draft depending on the temp outside. Draft is lazy above 45 degrees, good from 30-45 and a bit strong from 20-30. However, no sign of overfiring issues so far. When it's cold outside the stove can get hot with a full load. Normally for us that's 750-800 at peak. But the T6 takes it in stride and when it's very cold the heat is appreciated.

You may be fine with the shorter pipe. I wouldn't worry too much about overfiring due to draft unless you have some righteous steady winds blowing across the stack. A butterfly damper can be added if you feel draft is too strong when it gets very cold and windy outside.

Before you fire it, check the door with dollar bill test as PE does not adjust the doors at factory.
I have 27' of liner with a massive draft and no over fire problems. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE DOOR ADJUSTMENT!

Thanks guys. While we're on on the subject of overfire, what is an acceptable max temp (via Rutland magnetic) and where do you measure it? The manual doesn't say much about temps. I'm sure this has been covered before so a link to an older thread would be nice too.

ICY99 said:
Thanks guys. While we're on on the subject of overfire, what is an acceptable max temp (via Rutland magnetic) and where do you measure it? The manual doesn't say much about temps. I'm sure this has been covered before so a link to an older thread would be nice too.

If freestanding, I beleve the other guys are putting the thermo centered back towards the outlet.
If insert, put on face of stove above the door on either upper corner.

Before learning of the door adjustment needed, mine pegged my rutland themo a few times, no damage done.
I'd say try to keep it around 750 spike temp after relaod and shut down of air once its blazing good, if you hit 800 or 850 you will be fine. Mine usually spikes to 750 then cruises around 650-700
You will find the stove will tell you what temp is her sweet spot and where she likes to cruise at once she settles down on a full load.
To keep the temp lower & longer burns, fill with larger splits. I suggest against loading it full of small splits, she will run like a locomotive and it puts out ALOT of heat. Makes me sweat.

ICY99 said:
I can hardly wait to be warm! Thanks for the hints.
What size area are you heating with the Summit? Is it a freestander or insert?

Its freestanding in the center of the house. Relatively open floor plan. I guess its about 1750 sq. ft total.

1000 sq. ft on 1st floor and the rest upstairs.

ICY99 said:
Its freestanding in the center of the house. Relatively open floor plan. I guess its about 1750 sq. ft total.

Get your shorts out and tell the ol lady to git her bikini out of storage, your going to need em. ;)

Our stove cruises at about the temps Hog is seeing. Can't wait till next season when we'll have hardwood to burn. The Summit should do a fine job with your house as long as the wood supply is nice and dry.

Hogwildz said:
ICY99 said:

Get your shorts out and tell the ol lady to git her bikini out of storage, your going to need em. ;)

Yeah! She said earlier today that she's ready to run around in her skivvies when its -5F outside. The last time I saw her cry was because the house got too cold (I am not kidding) She threatened that she would pay thousands to upgrade our electrical service and put baseboards in all of the rooms (and she was not kidding!).

BeGreen said:
Our stove cruises at about the temps Hog is seeing. Can't wait till next season when we'll have hardwood to burn. The Summit should do a fine job with your house as long as the wood supply is nice and dry.

Thats good to hear. It is my only heat (aside from an emergency kerosene heater).

If you have any insulation, you will certainly need the shorts and bikini...and you likely will still feel overdressed.

I've got the insert and 22' feet of pipe, no temp guage...and that's probably a good thing. No overfire yet.

One thing to keep in mind, by the time you hit your older senior years, you may want to bank that stove down a bit.
I know I don't wanna see my ol running around in her skivies when we are that old.
;)

Hogwildz said:
One thing to keep in mind, by the time you hit your older senior years, you may want to bank that stove down a bit.
I know I don't wanna see my ol running around in her skivies when we are that old.
;)

ha ha. Something I hadn't considered. Maybe the baseboard heat is the way to go after all.

I guess if it really does cook us out of the house I could trade down to a super 27. I've found that you really can't tell how it will heat your house until you try it out.

ken999 said:
If you have any insulation, you will certainly need the shorts and bikini...and you likely will still feel overdressed.

I've got the insert and 22' feet of pipe, no temp guage...and that's probably a good thing. No overfire yet.

What is the size/layout of your house?

Hogwildz said:
;)

She'd probably say the same ;-P

My Pacific is doing a damned good job on 2000 SF, that Summit should keep ya smiling, what ever you're looking at ;-)

34 x 26, 2 story. 1st floor is pretty open. 2 floor has 4 rooms (more like 2 rooms and two walk in closets), and bathroom, all with doors into the hallway letting the heat in. Insulation is not so good, and the house is a bit torn up from remodeling. We've burned 7 peices of hardwood since my wife got home at 5:00. The house was 60 when she got home, it's now 71-72 on the downstairs thermostat and has been that way for nearly 2 hours. 68 upstairs. 22 outside currently.

Just for giggles I went downstairs and pulled the Rutland thermometer off the boiler pipe and stuck it on the fac of the insert. Peices #6 & 7 are over 1/2 shot and the stove is @ 375 or so.

I'd be real interested to see how one of these Summit freestanding would heat. They have to be warmer than the insert with more surface area giving off heat in all directions. A buddy of mine has an Avalon Olympic freestanding, and I think that is warmer than mine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either stove. Your central stove location is a plus...my stove is in one corner of the house.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Hogwildz said:
;)

She'd probably say the same ;-P

My Pacific is doing a damned good job on 2000 SF, that Summit should keep ya smiling, what ever you're looking at ;-)

Some prune skin to go with the prune juice, Ugg Ugg Uggg

ICY99 said:
Hogwildz said:
;)

ha ha. Something I hadn't considered. Maybe the baseboard heat is the way to go after all.

I guess if it really does cook us out of the house I could trade down to a super 27. I've found that you really can't tell how it will heat your house until you try it out.

You'll be fine, you can always do 3 and 4 split burns. Save full large split loads for overnight.
375 is quite a low burn though.

PE-S is a great stove. Your draft should be fine - we had about 30' and 33' - no issues. The PE control is a good control. And yes, you're going to have a lot of heat for that space. I heat over 3kftft.

Great thing about the summit is you can burn 2 splits at a time, no problem.

BeGreen said:

You may be fine with the shorter pipe. I wouldn't worry too much about overfiring due to draft unless you have some righteous steady winds blowing across the stack. A butterfly damper can be added if you feel draft is too strong when it gets very cold and windy outside.

BeGreen. I realize my chimney description wasn't clear. I'll have from 19' to 20' total depending on how the clearances work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.