Chimney question regarding creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex C

Nov 28, 2013
Southern NH
I have a straight chimney about 14 feet from top of stove to the cap. I burned for a month and popped off the top chimney section above the roof to get a look at the condition of the chimney. The only thing in there was a light film of soot. No flakes, no tarry buildup. If my startups get the flue temps up to 600+ degrees and then maintain about 400 during the burn, (until the end when it obviously cools off) is there much chance of creosote buildup? Is the greatest chance of a chimney fire on startups when the chimney is hottest? My wood is seasoned and burns well. Any info would be great.

Good seasoned wood and a hot fire won't leave much if any creosote so nothing to burn.Keep doing what your doing and your good. Check the flue each month if you get wood that's not that great and brush it at the end of the burning season to get rid of anything you may have that's caustic out.

Good seasoned wood and a hot fire won't leave much if any creosote so nothing to burn.Keep doing what your doing and your good. Check the flue each month if you get wood that's not that great and brush it at the end of the burning season to get rid of anything you may have that's caustic out.
Thanks. Figured that since I have no bends in the pipes and a top exit stove the heat should keep any creosote from building up. Still new to wood burning and trying to be comfortable leaving stove going during the day while I'm gone.

With your setup it looks like the fuel will be the only variable. Stay away from oak and split and stack for at least two years off the ground in single rows. You'll be golden.

I agree. However my question regarding the creosote igniting still stands. Is it most likely to start during a hot start to a fire when I get the pipe at 650* or when the stove is cruising at 500* and the pipe is at 350-400* after being hot for a long period of time?

That's a question for someone more qualified than me. Had a fire in my chimney years ago when the chimney was 12x12 clay and it's impressive. Old stove running low all day and some good dry maple later that night led to the fire. No damage to the flue, just a "good cleaning out" as Dad said and not something I want to repeat. It's possible you could have one every time you start up if the woods not the best and you burn low.

High temps or sparks up the flue can create a chimney fire. If you follow the advice above, it would be a non issue. If your "classic" stove has a bypass damper, that damper in the open position is when you would worry about sparks the most.

By the time the wood is burning down and the stove is cooling, the theory is that all the yucky stuff is burned out of the wood by then.

Stay away from oak and split and stack for at least two years off the ground in single rows. You'll be golden.

Really? Am I not understanding what you are saying, or have we gotten to the point where oak is the new pine? From my experience, 3yo seasoned oak burns quite cleanly and my go to wood when it gets cold. Am I missing something?

Really? Am I not understanding what you are saying, or have we gotten to the point where oak is the new pine? From my experience, 3yo seasoned oak burns quite cleanly and my go to wood when it gets cold. Am I missing something?
No, 3 yo. oak is what you want. When you cut/stack green oak, single rows for about 2 years to get it seasoned well.3 is better of course.

I just prefer to stay away from oak because it takes too long to season. Its great after 3 summers, but I could be dead by then.

Reactions: zig
Burning dry wood and keeping the flue gas temps above 250F at exit from the cap are the key ingredients to a clean chimney. Alex, sounds like you are doing a good job at both. If so, you may see very little creosote build up. The shorter chimney is also helping keep the flue gases hot enough at exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.