Chimney size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saskaburner

Hearth Supporter
Nov 15, 2009
Canada
I just bought a pellet stove with an assortment of chimney parts. The stove has a 3" outlet but the chimney steps up with a 3"-4" clean out tee then continues with 4" vertical pipe. If I go to buy a few more chimney lengths should I continue with the 4" pipes or change all sections back to the 3". I need to go about 17' vertically. Is there a point where too large a pipe screws up the draft?

Most pellet stove manufacturers recommend a 4" pipe all the way up the chimney on there inserts. Basically don't convert to a 3" stay with the 4" to the top.

You should stick with the four inch size. Depending on altitude and service conditions, often stoves will require the 4"size. Get ahold of the stove manual and see what the manufacturer specifies. One of my stoves requires 3" and another is 4" for the same application because I am at 4,700 feet elevation. Besides, you would have to replace all parts if you went back to 3" through out.

Saskaburner said:
I just bought a pellet stove with an assortment of chimney parts. The stove has a 3" outlet but the chimney steps up with a 3"-4" clean out tee then continues with 4" vertical pipe. If I go to buy a few more chimney lengths should I continue with the 4" pipes or change all sections back to the 3". I need to go about 17' vertically. Is there a point where too large a pipe screws up the draft?

Maybe something like a 8X8 masonry chimney would screw the draft up but certainly not a 4".
I`m vented into a 7" SS insulated chimney and the draft is excellent. Matter of fact , the stove manual pictures a 3" exhaust vented into a larger chimney flue that looks to be at least 3 times larger. (one of their recommended installs)

I'm still in recovery over fitting out 10' of pellet stove piping I was into it a little over $400. I'm still on the fence as to the wisdom of this pellet stove heating. If you have time maybe look for some used pipe on Graigs list or the nickel ads. bjr23

Status
Not open for further replies.