Chimney Sweep Info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HandSplit

Dec 6, 2021
RI
Quick question on the frequency of chimney sweeps...I just had my chimney sweep guy come to my house to clean/inspect my chimney for the Fall in preparation for the upcoming winter burns. He told me to call him in the spring next year as the chimney was really dirty this year.
Is it really necessary for him to come in the spring after burning then again in the fall prior to burning. Seems like he is trying to make an extra buck, but any advice on the advantages/necessities of chimney sweeping twice per year? I've been burning for a few years now (roughly 5 cords per season) and figured best to do the cleaning in early September Thoughts on coming twice a year or better to come in spring vs fall?

Quick question on the frequency of chimney sweeps...I just had my chimney sweep guy come to my house to clean/inspect my chimney for the Fall in preparation for the upcoming winter burns. He told me to call him in the spring next year as the chimney was really dirty this year.
Is it really necessary for him to come in the spring after burning then again in the fall prior to burning. Seems like he is trying to make an extra buck, but any advice on the advantages/necessities of chimney sweeping twice per year? I've been burning for a few years now (roughly 5 cords per season) and figured best to do the cleaning in early September Thoughts on coming twice a year or better to come in spring vs fall?
Twice a year is certainly nessecary with some setups. But cleaning twice in the off season very rarely makes sense. The only way it might is if your chimney is glazed sometimes cleaning in the spring then letting it sit to clean again can be beneficial

I usually do one sweep mid winter(up from the stove with a sooteater) and a sweep at the end of the season. I have done the Fall instead of the Spring too but it makes sense to do it before it sets up over the summer. I think he probably wants you to do it in the Spring instead of the Fall as I am sure he is super busy in the Fall and it will be easier to clean in the Spring.

Reactions: Dan Freeman