Chimney Sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a chimney sweep ordered. $139 for the service. Not sure if that's a good price, but I don't really care either way. Never had a sweep in the last 2 years. I am working with an installation with pipe that was new November 2010, so hopefully, it's not like tar inside. I think my wood has been decent, but never at Backwoods Savage standards. I'm going to get my cracked baffle repaired or at least have them get me one. It's good to have a stove shop local that you support so you have a relationship just in case of service needs.

Please let us know what he finds. We might also clean our chimney this year. It's been 4 years now since it was done.

Reactions: NortheastAl
Please let us know what he finds. We might also clean our chimney this year. It's been 4 years now since it was done.
You guys are killing me. 2 years, 4 years! Are you both trying to test the laws of probability that you'll have a chimney fire? Or is it that your wood is so good that it is a guarantee the flue will be clean?

Not at all Al. I posted a picture of our chimney's insides last fall showing it was nice and clean.....as it should be. It is a testament to burning good fuel and having an excellent stove to burn it in.

$139 is a fine price.

I'm making a committed effort this burn season to follow best practices on burning dry wood. I have a good supply of three and four year old oak that's been under cover the entire time, just open on the sides for sun and air. I even went out this morning and gathered enough large kindling to fill a 55 gallon drum and then filled two 20 gallon bins with smaller stuff. My neighbor has some pine trees along her driveway that drop lots of branches over winter with ice storms and all. I've been scoping out the stuff from last year and noticed it had gotten nice and dry with no bark left. Nice loud snap when you bust one in half.

I'm also going to follow a rotation system for bringing wood in from my pile to the woodstove. First step is from the wood pile to a large custom built bin located in a screened room at the back of the house. From there it comes inside to fill the cavity built into my fireplace/chimney. That's the final destination before it goes into the stove. The complete cycle takes about five or six days with the wood exposed to dryer conditions than outdoors.

Not at all Al. I posted a picture of our chimney's insides last fall showing it was nice and clean.....as it should be. It is a testament to burning good fuel and having an excellent stove to burn it in.
Dennis, I believe you. And you do practice what you preach. 3 year dry wood is what I hope to achieve.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
You have three stoves listed in your signature. IIf that sweep price is for three stoves, its a great price. If your stoves were burning well, then your chimneys should be fine. do you take a look ever?

You have three stoves listed in your signature. IIf that sweep price is for three stoves, its a great price. If your stoves were burning well, then your chimneys should be fine. do you take a look ever?

One stove is gas...so that one doesn't get cleaned. I have 2 Heritages...only one ever got hooked up. :(

You guys are killing me. 2 years, 4 years! Are you both trying to test the laws of probability that you'll have a chimney fire? Or is it that your wood is so good that it is a guarantee the flue will be clean?

I know. I was foolish, but fortunately didn't get burnt...LITERALLY!!!

I personally recommend that everyone at least inspect their chimney twice a year . . . and in their first year of burning when folks are still learning their woodstove and may have questionable wood to perhaps check it every month.

Burning at the proper temps with seasoned wood may mean only sweeping the chimney every year or every other year or maybe even every four years -- but my own opinion is that at least inspecting it is a good practice . . . besides who wants to be the hearth.com member here admitting to having a chimney fire . . . or in my own case being the one guy in the fire house who has had his fellow brother and sister firefighters over for a midnight get together due to my lack of diligence.

I used to sweep yearly (3-4 cords), last year there was a bit more than I was happy to see in the stack (and i will admit, I am conservative on this). I now plan to sweep ever 2 cords. For me the effort is getting on the roof, the difference between sweeping and looking is minimal. I know sweeping every 2 cords is overkill for me, but better to be on this side than the other.........

I'm making a committed effort this burn season to follow best practices on burning dry wood. I have a good supply of three and four year old oak that's been under cover the entire time, just open on the sides for sun and air. I even went out this morning and gathered enough large kindling to fill a 55 gallon drum and then filled two 20 gallon bins with smaller stuff. My neighbor has some pine trees along her driveway that drop lots of branches over winter with ice storms and all. I've been scoping out the stuff from last year and noticed it had gotten nice and dry with no bark left. Nice loud snap when you bust one in half.

I'm also going to follow a rotation system for bringing wood in from my pile to the woodstove. First step is from the wood pile to a large custom built bin located in a screened room at the back of the house. From there it comes inside to fill the cavity built into my fireplace/chimney. That's the final destination before it goes into the stove. The complete cycle takes about five or six days with the wood exposed to dryer conditions than outdoors.

How much heat does the Franklin throw into the room? Does it matter if the doors are shut for burning to get more heat?

I used to sweep yearly (3-4 cords), last year there was a bit more than I was happy to see in the stack (and i will admit, I am conservative on this). I now plan to sweep ever 2 cords. For me the effort is getting on the roof, the difference between sweeping and looking is minimal. I know sweeping every 2 cords is overkill for me, but better to be on this side than the other.........

Rather it is overkill or not depends on the fuel and your burning practices. We had a stove one time where we cleaned the chimney about once for every cord of wood we burned. Was pretty happy to throw that beast in the junk.

I personally recommend that everyone at least inspect their chimney twice a year . . . and in their first year of burning when folks are still learning their woodstove and may have questionable wood to perhaps check it every month.

Burning at the proper temps with seasoned wood may mean only sweeping the chimney every year or every other year or maybe even every four years -- but my own opinion is that at least inspecting it is a good practice . . . besides who wants to be the hearth.com member here admitting to having a chimney fire . . . or in my own case being the one guy in the fire house who has had his fellow brother and sister firefighters over for a midnight get together due to my lack of diligence.

That post by firefighterjake should be read two or three times!! Thanks for posting that Jake.

I'm a one season newbie to wood burning. Based on what I've read here, I got myself a soot eater. It's super easy to run up the flue from the bottom without making a mess. I got a cup or two of powder from 3 1/2 cords of kiln dried. Am I worried about chimney fires? Not any more. But I will be putting the soot eater to work again sometime in January, if only for peace of mind.

Got a chimney sweep ordered. $139 for the service. Not sure if that's a good price, but I don't really care either way. Never had a sweep in the last 2 years. I am working with an installation with pipe that was new November 2010, so hopefully, it's not like tar inside. I think my wood has been decent, but never at Backwoods Savage standards. I'm going to get my cracked baffle repaired or at least have them get me one. It's good to have a stove shop local that you support so you have a relationship just in case of service needs.

Fair price depending upon the service, and by that I mean I have read and heard about some very poor sweeps. I've been paying $150 off season, they take a photo up the inside of chimney, they sweep top down chimney, then the connector pipe into bucket outside, vacuum around the hearth and inside the stove.

As far as I'm concerned it is a cheap price to pay as FirefighterJake and not have to admit I had a problem. Also the fact I don't have to get on top of the roof makes the price even better. Good luck!

I cleaned mine on Dec of 2011. New stove, didn't have much.
I cleaned it with the soot eater 2 weeks ago and got better then a paint can full.
wood the first year was so so. last year had 18 months on it. this year everything is 2 yrs+.

I am sticking to the every year program with and a inspection mid season till further notice.

I cleaned mine on Dec of 2011. New stove, didn't have much.
I cleaned it with the soot eater 2 weeks ago and got better then a paint can full.
wood the first year was so so. last year had 18 months on it. this year everything is 2 yrs+.

I am sticking to the every year program with and a inspection mid season till further notice.

How high is the chimney? Mine's 25 feet. Is that something I should just buy...the sooteater? I have a sweep service that said they would come out...haven't given me a day yet.

I bought 2 soot eaters for the extra rods I use all but one, 33 feet I would guess.
the soot eater kinds of makes me wonder if I am doing a good job.
But if it got all that out it must be doing something.

I will probably get a sweep next year to see what they come up with.

How high is the chimney? Mine's 25 feet. Is that something I should just buy...the sooteater? I have a sweep service that said they would come out...haven't given me a day yet.
You may want to go ahead and have the sweep come out, and that will give you a good idea of what you have and if a sooteater will work for you. Sooteaters are great for most situations but not so much for hard or gooey creosote, and some installations make their use difficult.

You may want to go ahead and have the sweep come out, and that will give you a good idea of what you have and if a sooteater will work for you. Sooteaters are great for most situations but not so much for hard or gooey creosote, and some installations make their use difficult.

My chimney goes straight up but does not exit the roof immediately above the stove so there are 2 slight bends. Not sure on angles...but it's 25 feet from cap to the top of the stove so it's a fairly long run.

the soot eater kinds of makes me wonder if I am doing a good job. But if it got all that out it must be doing something.
Can you inspect the top part of the chimney? If it looks clean after a sweep, you're probably good. The sooteater is good for lighter, flaky creosote and, of course, soot, but hard, baked-on creosote could be left behind.

My chimney goes straight up but does not exit the roof immediately above the stove so there are 2 slight bends. Not sure on angles...but it's 25 feet from cap to the top of the stove so it's a fairly long run.
Hard to say how well a sooteater will handle your offsets without trying it. I just don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.