Chimney through attic space without attic insulation shield. (first time install)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GreenThunder

Nov 28, 2022
Lake Tomahawk, WI
Hello all, have been lurking for a while but this is my first post. I just installed a vogelzang 1200 and chimney. I read the chimeny manual 10 times and followed it closely, but this was my first chimney install ever (besides in an ice shack). Seeing if you guys can take a quick look at my pictures and see if you can point out anything glaringly wrong.

I did not have enough clearance from my ceiling joists to my roof deck to use an attic insulation shield. Instead i built an enclosure (chase?) around it with 9/16 OSB

The entire chimney is Selkirk parts from menards.

Still need to connect the double wall in the living room, but the safety in the attic and at roof level is what im most concerned with. Thanks for any input! Brian

Note: the the rubber boat picture is not fully installed yet, was just trying to show how far the rafter shield was comming through the roof as the manual did not specify

7D99CACB-AFE5-437C-B955-721EE3F9EB12.jpeg 5C72529D-D612-4682-BFBE-9CCF3BEE4252.jpeg F53B4705-77E1-4B1B-8E7C-D5E92FB0BF6C.jpeg 5D75B652-CD50-4B0D-90AF-26922C55CE3F.jpeg B3DB6621-52EF-44C6-A3D5-CD70F8AB45B1.jpeg

I'm assuming you fully enclosed that chase with OSB? The only purpose of the insulation shield is to prevent insulation with coming in contact with the stove pipe and as long as that doesnt happen, then you're good. So you need to ensure that enclosure is, enclosed. You may also want to add some small vents in that enclosure to allow air to flow through thus keeping temps in check. I've never seen a selkirk terminated at the roof using a rubber boot like that. Is that because it's a metal roof?

@zak77 - Yes I fully enclosed the chase on the 4th side, just left it open for pictures. I have a "rafter radiation shield" installed around the chimney where it passes through the roof. Do I need a similar type of shield to protect the framed opening below/ceiling joists? Also great idea on venting holes.

Regarding the rubber boot, yes I used that because it's a metal roof. I have had great luck with similar ones around other penetration's in my roof. This one is specific for a chimney installation. Link is below.