Chimney too low?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dizzyh

Dec 30, 2014
New Jersey
Hi Everyone,
I just finished installing my duraplus triple wall chimney and new to wood burning stoves. Do you think this chimney is too low from the peak of the roof? I am not sure if it should be 3 feet above the roof line or 2 feet. Please see pictures. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Attachments

• chimney 4.jpg
    chimney 4.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 179
  • chimney 3.jpg
    chimney 3.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 136
  • chimney 2.jpg
    chimney 2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 179
  • chimney 1.jpg
    chimney 1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 168
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. It needs to be 2 ft over the nearest roofline within a 10ft radius. Looks like you may be ok, but it's hard to tell exactly.
10-3-2 rule.JPG

Chimney needs to be 3 ft above the roof and 2 ft above anything in a 10 ft radius. It looks like you have the required 3 ft but may be short the second requirement. If the peak of the roof is closer than 10 ft horizontal distance from the chimney it needs to extend 2 ft above the peak.

Thank you begreen and Grisu for your timely response. I now have a better understanding of the height requirement. I will measure it according to begreen's diagram. It looks very close. If the stack is to short by a few inches I will just add a 2 ft chimney section.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Just add it on. If anything, it will give you more draw!

Status
Not open for further replies.