Chimney troubles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brentmaster

Apr 7, 2018
Portugal
I am buying a house that has a chimney that has been installed without proper planning permission. The house is two-storey and approximately 70 years old, and had a single story, flat roof extension built onto it around 10 years ago.

The extension, which is now the living room, has a wood-burning stove in the middle of it and a chimney that comes straight up and terminates at the level of the upstairs windows ( chimney marked with blue cross). Regulations say that the chimney needs to come to the height of our, and our neighbours, roofs (which makes sense) and I have had some builders in to have a look, and they are suggesting that we leave the stove where it is and build a chimney with a diagonal section that runs to the wall of the main house (approx 2.5/3 meters) and then rises to the required height.

I have some doubts about having a chimney with such a large diagonal/horizontal section, as I am not only afraid that it won't actually work very well, but that it will be subject to stress (wind, etc.) and will just be another thing to repair in a few years.

The only other option I can see is to move the stove to the corner of the extension and install a new chimney that goes straight up against the wall of the main house. However, this is obviously an expensive solution.

Could we extend the height of the existing chimney? How high can a free standing chimney be?

I'm all ears and would appreciate any input, thanks!

NFPA-211 says that your chimney must extend 3 feet minimum out of the roof & must be 2 feet higher than ANYTHING within 10 feet hoizontally.
Your chimney MIGHT be ok as it is. Your drawing is nice, but an actual picture might tell us more.

Yeah without pics and some real dimensions we cant be of much help

NFPA-211 says that your chimney must extend 3 feet minimum out of the roof & must be 2 feet higher than ANYTHING within 10 feet hoizontally.
Your chimney MIGHT be ok as it is. Your drawing is nice, but an actual picture might tell us more.

It shows his location as Portugal. I am not sure NFPA-211 or any other us laws would apply there. He says there planning and project commission says it needs to be as high as there and there neighbors roof.(Unless I am reading that wrong.....)

That said I would think it would be a terrible idea to have that long of a horizontal run.

You can possibly extend the existing chimney if its class A, and can braced it correctly.

Reactions: gastone21
Yes, you're right. I'm in Portugal. I wasn't sure if this was a US specific forum or not, but you do some to know your stuff about chimneys!

I will post a photo as soon as I can get one, but I'm away from home at the moment so I can't now.

The information I got from the town hall was that the chimney needs to be higher than the neighbouring houses, which I would say is around 6 meters (20 feet).

Yes, you're right. I'm in Portugal. I wasn't sure if this was a US specific forum or not, but you do some to know your stuff about chimneys!

I will post a photo as soon as I can get one, but I'm away from home at the moment so I can't now.

The information I got from the town hall was that the chimney needs to be higher than the neighbouring houses, which I would say is around 6 meters (20 feet).
No not us specific but not many of us are going to know anything about regulations in portugal