Chimney with no house.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
But a great chimney and location.

Something about chimneys just standing by themselves...or, even fell down by themselves......the last part of a house to go.

Attachments

• chimney3rdbch.jpg
    chimney3rdbch.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 921
...every chimney has a story.

I can be pathetically empathetic and I went through a stage where things like that upset me and often even made mine eyes water thinking about the history behind it. It was very sad to see what was left of someone's dreams and hard work. Thanks for not scoffing.
Those chimneys don't last long around here unless hidden in the woods. The brick and stone is too valuable.
Dad had some land in Hamlin on the Brick School House Road which had the brick shell of the one room school house on it.
He came home from Florida one winter and it was gone.
He did get the corner stone. On the back side was a tombstone with misprints. It was resourceful of someone.
I think that may be around here someplace. I wanted to make a coffee table out of it and have it be able to swivel to show both sides.
I gotta go dump some coffee.

Our local volunteer firefighters save a LOT of these, along with basements...
Most of these fires are started by folks who ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT have fire in their homes...
One guy shoveled the ashes out of his Oslo into a cardboard box which he then put on his porch...
He & his family are still here to talk about it...

DAKSY said:
Most of these fires are started by folks who ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT have fire in their homes...
One guy shoveled the ashes out of his Oslo into a cardboard box which he then put on his porch...
We must have his cousin up here. Same cardboard box, on deck, FD pulls up to a nude homeowner desperately trying to put the fire out. Shows that we should all take fire seriously. If you really want to save your house and family just install working fire sprinklers; best fire prevention ever. Be safe.
Ed

Here's one that is tough to recognize....

It is a chimney built of cement and seashells - part of a house that was built on top of an Indian Mound in FL - these mounds were piled up by the native americans there. A white settler of the area built his house on top.

This is in Palmetto, south of Tampa Bay.

Attachments

• IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 809
I have driven by some of these on my way up to the adirondacks when we go camping, always makes me stop and think what, why and when.

Ya, gets your mind turning. I almost went to school for archaeology- these sorts of remnants really get me.

Worn tools at the flea market, and hand made crafts with mark of the maker (fingerprints on pottery, tool marks on an old bow) really make me feel a connection.

Thanks for that photo

Lots of old cabins, mining dredges, old paddle wheelers along the river, etc... here that makes my mind feel the same way that you guys speak of. Its good stuff for the brain as it helps keep life simple. :)

CZARCAR said:
north of 60 said:
Lots of old cabins, mining dredges, old paddle wheelers along the river, etc... here that makes my mind feel the same way that you guys speak of. Its good stuff for the brain as it helps keep life simple. :)
xcepept 4 ufo come visit on vacations,eh? & woh can blame em

:question: Esplane Czar. Me not get me thinx

There was an old home across the street from me, young couple had, lost it to divorce/foreclosure.

4 years later, the house gets pretty much leveled, except for the chimney and attached wall. Lovely house now, with the same chimney that was there when I was a kid (40+ yrs ago).

Pretty cool.

That is cool.
I think I heard they were taken by helicopter.
Google Earth is pretty cool on a fast computer also......you can fly right over things, etc.....

All this technology, and yet we still don't have a lot of orgasmatrons. It makes you wonder about humanity.

Yeah- passing by some of these makes you stop and wonder. Just like at the junkyard, every car has a story...................

velvetfoot said:
The Microsoft Maps Live product is pretty neat. They seem to use aerial photos...

That is pretty interesting. I can nail the shots of my house almost to the day, as there's a cement truck delivering concrete for the footings for our bedroom extension...had to be right about June 1st this past year. As I swivel the shots around (N-E-S-W), it's obvious that the four views were from at least two different different days. Good shots, though. I'd like to have some new ones since the remodel was completed. I'll send Bill Gates an e-mail. ;-P Rick

fossil said:
velvetfoot said:
The Microsoft Maps Live product is pretty neat. They seem to use aerial photos...

That is pretty interesting. I can nail the shots of my house almost to the day, as there's a cement truck delivering concrete for the footings for our bedroom extension...had to be right about June 1st this past year. As I swivel the shots around (N-E-S-W), it's obvious that the four views were from at least two different different days. Good shots, though. I'd like to have some new ones since the remodel was completed. I'll send Bill Gates an e-mail. ;-P Rick

I've been there before and it hasn't changed. Our pics must be close to ten years old.

The shots of my place are about two years old.
We used pics of comparable places to fight our assessment.

CZARCAR said:
north of 60 said:
CZARCAR said:
north of 60 said:
xcepept 4 ufo come visit on vacations,eh? & woh can blame em

:question: Esplane Czar. Me not get me thinx
UFO picnic site

OK now hit me with a piece of southern oak. Still dont know what you are getting @.
N of 60

colebrookman said:
DAKSY said:
We must have his cousin up here. Same cardboard box, on deck, FD pulls up to a nude homeowner desperately trying to put the fire out. Shows that we should all take fire seriously. . ..

. . . and of course another important life's lesson here is to always wear your knickers when you're attempting to put out a fire in your home so you don't burn anything important. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.