Christmas came a little early...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KaptJaq

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
She saw how hard my 16" box store saw & I worked after Sandy so she decided to be nice. I think she also likes the fact that the yard is full of red oak and wants to see some more bucked. She found a Husky 460 rancher, 20" bar, & H48 (Oregon 73LGX) chain.

Started it today to make sure it survived its trip here. First time I've used a chisel chain. It is fast compared to my 13 year old box store special.

Now I will have no excuse when she wants more wood on the fires...

KaptJaq

:) Early Christmas presents rock.

Merry Christmas :)
Gotta post a picture of it while it's still new & shiny
You'll really get to like the full chisel chain.

Keep your chain sharp ;)

Just traded my 455 Rancher off. One of my favorite firewood saws. That 460 Rancher should be plenty for most jobs.

Sad to say, the 455 was my only homeowner model and it was my "Go to" Saw :) It rode with me in my truck everywhere!!! LOL

Congrats.

This is my second Christmas on Hearth.com. There is always some early Christmas present post. ;lol By the way. What early christmas present? Did any of you guys see it? I don't see any early Christmas present. ;)

Just traded my 455 Rancher off. One of my favorite firewood saws. That 460 Rancher should be plenty for most jobs.

Sad to say, the 455 was my only homeowner model and it was my "Go to" Saw :) It rode with me in my truck everywhere!!! LOL

Congrats.

Ok Dex, so 026, 036, & 460 right? Now MS 660 & MS 200T are next on the list, get busy buddy.

Congrats on the new saw Kapt. May it serve you well for years to come. A C

Ok Dex, so 026, 036, & 460 right? Now MS 660 & MS 200T are next on the list, get busy buddy.

I still have the MS-192T. But let it sit at my buddies Dads place (where I cut). He is old and he can start it lots easier than his Husq 350 and his Wild Thingy. I let him "borrow" it, so I can cut on his land. I still bring it home every month or so and clean and sharpen the chain.

The 660..... Still sounds like an awesome idea though. !!!

You'll be spoiled by that full chisel chain.460 Rancher has plenty of grunt for a mid range saw,perfect for that 20" bar,will even handle 24" pretty nicely if skip chain is used.

So Dex, who is going to get the honor of riding up in the big rig with papa everywhere now?

She sounds like a great woman Kaptjaq, better hang on to that one!

Reactions: DexterDay
She sounds like a great woman Kaptjaq, better hang on to that one!

I think she is a keeper. Apparently she walked into a local dealer and walked out with the saw, 20" bar, two chains, a quart of bar oil, a pint of 2 cycle, a sharpening kit, and a case to keep it all in for a very good price. Everything Husqvarna and way better than the list price of the saw alone they quoted me about a week ago. This place was not a nice clean ACE Hardware or something like that. It was near the tracks in an industrial area. A place the tree services & landscapers go to.

I'll try to post a picture tomorrow (of the saw!).

KaptJaq

Reactions: Gasifier
This place was not a nice clean ACE Hardware or something like that.
KaptJaq

Psst -- wanna buy a saw? ;lol

f_6611.jpg

Yesterday I put it together, fueled, oiled, and started it up to break in with some light cutting. Today I tightened the chain and pointed it at a little oak (Still cleaning up Sandy debris). For a city boy I am a happy camper.

IMG_1723_a.JPG

One disappointment, there was no ribbon on it. She just dumped it in the garage. (None of MY toys are allowed in the house.)

I hope the Mayans weren't right, I want some time to play with this toy.

Happy holidays to all,

KaptJaq

Reactions: MasterMech
Yesterday I put it together, fueled, oiled, and started it up to break in with some light cutting. Today I tightened the chain and pointed it at a little oak (Still cleaning up Sandy debris). For a city boy I am a happy camper.

View attachment 84768

One disappointment, there was no ribbon on it. She just dumped it in the garage. (None of MY toys are allowed in the house.)

I hope the Mayans weren't right, I want some time to play with this toy.

Happy holidays to all,

KaptJaq

Didn't you read Brother Bart's comment about the Mayan Count and no leap years figured into the equation . . . turns out we're already dead . . . or living on borrowed time. I personally figure I must be in Hell . . . not much snow here in Maine . . . it's the only explanation -- I'm in Hell.

Reactions: MasterMech
I personally figure I must be in Hell . . .

It is either Heaven or Hell! So much free wood, Red Oak too, so it is heaven. No time to process it, no place to stack it, lot of it going to the shredder so this must be Hell.

Well, whatever it is:

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - A good cigar in one hand, some Jack Daniels in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What A Ride"!
Anonymous

Enjoy the ride everybody...

KaptJaq

...And you are getting her for Christmas...? Perhaps she might like a 20 ton splitter?

...And you are getting her for Christmas...? Perhaps she might like a 20 ton splitter?

;lol Yes. That does sound like a good present for the Mrs. ;)

Which of course could be followed up by a large commercial grade Fargo-like wood chipper . . .

Reactions: firebroad

I was thinking a microwave or toaster oven (even if she doesn't know where our kitchen is yet or how to use them). She says I earned the saw by keeping the house warm and letting her buy a new car. She gets the new red sports coupe, I get the soccer mom van & the old pick-up. Her car is a month old and I have not driven it once yet. She doesn't want the mats dirty.

Anyway, she prefers wood that has been hand split. Says it works the adult beverages off better.

KaptJaq

I was thinking a microwave or toaster oven (even if she doesn't know where our kitchen is yet or how to use them). She says I earned the saw by keeping the house warm and letting her buy a new car. She gets the new red sports coupe, I get the soccer mom van & the old pick-up. Her car is a month old and I have not driven it once yet. She doesn't want the mats dirty.

Anyway, she prefers wood that has been hand split. Says it works the adult beverages off better.

KaptJaq

Tell her you will switch to Mich Ultra(it's not too bad for a light beer) and take the splitter. :)

Merry Christmas

she's a Saint...

KaptJaq

She got a new car and all you got was a saw? Eye for eye I say, I'm thinking you "need" a new truck. ;lol:p

She got a new car and all you got was a saw? Eye for eye I say, I'm thinking you "need" a new truck. ;lol:p

Old truck = chain saw, bar oil, maul, & wedges in the back seat. Can of 2-cycle mix, bark, and saw dust in the bed.
New truck = CLEAN

I think I'll stick with old...

KaptJaq

Congrats.
Same with my 450. It's now my truck/4wheeler saw. Don't need it, but can't bring myself to get rid of it. Funny thing is, it's a really low hour/clean saw. It's just always been sitting in my truck when I really "needed".

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.