Circulating the heat - Fan recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ember1205

Dec 30, 2012
Central CT
The basics:

I have a 2600 square foot ranch that I heat predominantly from a wood-burning insert in the family room. This room has a sloped ceiling (doesn't quite follow the slope of the roof, but close), so it's quite a bit higher at the center of the house than along the outer wall. I have a ceiling fan that I run in "reverse" in the winter months to pull the cooler air up off of the floor and to "drive" the heated air out to the edges of the room and down.

The wall opposite the insert is the outer wall of the house, and there is a doorway on either side of the room. The main part of the house is a "loop" of four connected rooms (two in the back and two in the front of the house).

The room on the opposite side of the insert has a propane stove and is the "hardest" room to heat because of a very large bay window that is assuredly a little leaky.

I've been using corner fans in each doorway to move the warm air out of the stove room and off to the rest of the house. It works, there's no question.

The problem I have is that A) the corner fans are not quiet (common complaint) and B) one has finally died and needs to be remedied.

I would like to move away from the corner fans and use tower or floor fans to push cold air back toward the stove room. But, I have to be mindful of being obstructive of walkways and of being too loud.

My question:

Does anyone have a recommendation for either a tower style of fan (because they are inherently narrow) or a floor fan that is both quiet and can be placed in a narrower hallway without creating a tripping hazard?

I have found the Lasko 4000 to be interesting, but I'm concerned that it really isn't up to the task of moving the type of air volume I would need it to. Additionally, there are comments about it also being a loud fan.

Any recommendations, possibly with links to where to find them, would be appreciated. Alternatively, if anyone has specifications to look for (like operating dB or CFM ratings), I'll happily take that as well.

Thanks in advance!

We use just a basic box fan to push the cold air towards our insert. It is cheap and effective but it is loud. We just raise the volume on the TV if we're watching near the fan.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

A lot of us here like these Vornado models or similar. You have the right idea to blow cooler air out of the bedroom area at the floor level. Not sure if it will be small enough for you, but it seems to be the most common solution depending on the layout. They make several sizes. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E5WAUO/?tag=hearthamazon-20

If you have the layout to take advantage of them, these may really help circulate through adjacent rooms: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JGSMUK/?tag=hearthamazon-20
The idea is to mount it through the wall between the cool room and the stove room and allow the fan to pull cool air out of the room to be replaced by warm from a cracked-open door. Forced circulation between rooms.

i have a tower umit with a pretty good fan in it that is primarily an air filter.

might be worth a look, though the hepa filyers on mine is 50 bucks twice annualy.

Our 12" table fan is whisper quiet on low speed. Nothing special, just a cheap hardware store fan.

I run a cheap desk top fan on the floor that we've had forever . . . I just run it on low and after awhile it just becomes a background noise.

You have the same issue as us. Hope you can find a quieter solution. We have 4 top door corner fans plus the blower on the insert going. Its alot of noise but no one complains when they are toasty warm throughout the house. It is annoying but something we live with through the months when we are burning. It does feel SUPER QUIET in the house after they been on for weeks at a time and then you turn them off.:)

The Lasko 4000 fan that I was looking at can handle roughly 50CFM of airflow (47 on low and 57 on high - not much difference). I know that the Vornado fans are roughly an order of magnitude higher in their capacity. Do I need to have something that moves that much air? Or, is it more about just getting the loop flowing?

I have a lasco 6820 that we use to move air around. I find it does a nice job of distributing air around our basement.

I have several of these for various purposes. I love them for how much air they move and yet are very quiet. I wasn't sure if they would be small enough for the OP, but they are great fans and run forever. Larger fans like this with this blade design can run slowly enough to be quiet but move a lot of air. Small fans running faster usually are noisier.

Status
Not open for further replies.