CL Chain Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
Been looking for some decent chains to keep in the toolbox for awhile now. Every so often you just run into a situation where a good heavy chain is the right solution and a strap is just a bad idea that winds up netting you yet another broekn strap.

Trolling on the local CL I found an ad for a guy selling some chains, got in touch with him, first caller was a no show so I stopped at his house on the way home. Got myself a bucket of 5/16 chains are one 3ft,three 6ft. and one 24ft and some 3/8 chains are one 19ft.,one 22ft. and two7/8 clevises. All chains have hooks on both ends and I couldn't find any obviously bent or stressed links on any of them. $60 for the lot, they're all good ol US case hardened steel, guy's father had a towing business and he's had these chains just sitting in his garage for decades and decided he was tired of looking at them.

Considering the price of new chains today I think this was a pretty good deal. I don't "need" them...been doing fine without them till now, but every once in a while I've got a situation where it would be really nice to be able to wrap a good strong chain around something and give it a good tug with the truck, or even skid some logs or whatever.

Hi -

I like chains. They are better for some things than straps or lines. I do like to use a tire on occasion to reduce the shock/stress on lighter vehicles.

That is a score and a bargain.

Sometimes I hate to carry 50ft. of binder chain on my chip truck but I have it in a bucket in one of the gear boxes. I have had to use it to pull a small stump or two, and sometimes to skid a log. Nice score on your chain, I bought mine new $$$.

How do I determine the grade of the chains I have? Is it stamped on the links or anything? Had to hit TSC yesterday and saw that they're getting close to $4/ft for grade 30 3/8 chain, which is the weakest grade they had.

Those chains might cut a bit dry once you slap them on to your chainsaw . . . ;)

Yeah, but I just bought one of those Husqvarna roller guide sharpeners so a little time and effort will be rewarded.

My bar spec's a 72 link chain though, I measured out 72 links on the 3/8 chain and it seemed long to me. Probably just an optical illusion.

Best chain deal out there is Lowes. They sell 3/8 grade 70 in a bag with hook ends. Can't remember exact price but a couple of years ago it was kinda like the Englander deal that everyone was posting and getting in on. Nobody could come close to the deal. I bought 4 bags 20' in each bag. Binders I did get at TSC.

A good source of new Chinese G70 chain is Manufacturer Express - http://www.mfrexpress.com/cargo-control-binder-chain-c-2_9.html

Prices on various chains seem to be +- a dollar or two each month on different length chains. This place is a couple bucks more than other online suppliers, BUT they have free shipping for orders over $50. They are in NJ and I'm in MA so I generally get things the next day. My mailman gives me a really dirty look when I get two 20' 3/8 chains with ends in a 'flat rate' box so I try not to be around when he delivers it. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.