Class A pipe: Galvanized vs stainless

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Supervent is about $33/ ft at Menards and that is up over a few months ago when it was $30. The straight pipe is not bad, other fittings get spendy.

The last one I put up about 5 years ago was Supervent from Menards and about $650 all in...that's doublewall pipe from the stove, telescoping section, a couple 45's, ceiling support kit/trim, some optional shielding/insulation, cap, the whole deal...16' total height.
IIRC the straight pipe was about $20/ft then.

Reactions: cahaak
Using DuraLiner here, by the same company. Galvanized outer is fine. I am using their double wall rigid with galv outer casing outside, 17 years now and no issues at all. Looks the same as the day it was installed.

Is Supervent a pretty decent pipe?

I had a stove place recommend Excel over Duravent, but they said they weren't sure they could get Excel right now. They then recommended I get Supervent from Menards as it could be had cheaper than what he could get it for me at.

Using DuraLiner here, by the same company. Galvanized outer is fine. I am using their double wall rigid with galv outer casing outside, 17 years now and no issues at all. Looks the same as the day it was installed.
Can you tell me if the Duraliner tee cap is easily removable? Is it just friction fit in or is it screwed in? No details on the cap are available on dura vents site or instructions. I want to be able to clean the chimney from the bottom of the tee.

Can you tell me if the Duraliner tee cap is easily removable? Is it just friction fit in or is it screwed in? No details on the cap are available on dura vents site or instructions. I want to be able to clean the chimney from the bottom of the tee.
I'm almost 100% sure its friction fitted

I’m no expert, but the guy that installed our new pipe last year has been doing here in Western Colorado for decades. He used DuraTech, none of it was dented, and I went with galvanized outside. He said he had used lots of it, and never had any type of corrosion problems. It was significantly less expensive than SS, and no downside according to him. I think it's basically a matter of aesthetics. In our area, most everyone has galvanized. Just my 2 cents.