Classic bay 1200 insert convection blowing problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SAM Shrewsbury

Jan 18, 2015
Shrewsbury MA
Hi
I have used a Classic bay 1200 insert for 3 years. This stove has very simple methods to adjust fire intensity (adjusting a feeding gate manually and changing a convection blower switch - low, medium, and high). From the last week. I have noticed that there is no difference between medium and high convection blowing when it comes to blown air amount. Thus the high setting is not that different from the medium setting. Is it caused by the control board, the switch itself, or the convection blower? Please help me to find the problem.

When was the last time the stove had the fans cleaned? There are some fans that are posted that have shown some major needing of a good cleaning.

Attachments

• DSCN0125.JPG
    DSCN0125.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 179
Picture was an extreme and not moving anything. It does not take much to really affect output. Wouldn't hurt to see if the motor can be oiled too.
Good luck

The convection fan is run strictly by the #1 snap dsic. So it would be either the fan or the switch. kap

Last edited:
Thank you very much Kap.
Does the "fan" mean a dirty fan of convection blower? If the switch itself went bad, is there anyway just to replace a switch instead of changing the whole control box?
Another question is how to test if #2 snap disk is a problem.

Thank you very much Kap.
Does the "fan" mean a dirty fan of convection blower? If the switch itself went bad, is there anyway just to replace a switch instead of changing the whole control box?
Another question is how to test if #2 snap disk is a problem.
Must of been brain gas. I should of said #1 snap disc. Sorry. Thanks to Dennis for catching this. The snap disc just opens and closes, allowing power to the fan. The low,med.,high switch can be swapped out without messing with the control box. Another person had this issue on a Mt. Vernon non AE, and it was the fan. I would check connections on switch first, to make sure there is good contact. Make sure to unplug stove before doing any electrical work on the stove. kap

Last edited:
Kap, maybe I am missing something in this thread direction. Does the control box control the fan speed or is the fan a single speed affair and the snap switch just turns the fan on and off? If I read what the OP was trying to get at

Yes, the snap disc just turns power on and off. Snap disc is just a simple high/low limit swtich. kap

Yes, the snap disc just turns power on and off. Snap disc is just a simple high/low limit swtich. kap
Op was wondering why it seems the fan not putting out more when in high

My post higher up, said either fan or switch, not disc. kap

s there anyway just to replace a switch instead of changing the whole control box?

Looks to me like you should be able to replace the switch without replacing the control box based on the image below.

Attachments

• 20150118_135704.jpg
    20150118_135704.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 143
Do the pellets drop at a higher rate when the switch is on high versus medium? If it does, probably isn't the switch.

Well, CB 1200 insert has only one switch whereas a free stand form has two switches. Does Castile insert has only one switch, too?
Regarding pellet feeding rate question, yes, pellet drops a little bit more in high than medium. Does that mean that this switch adjust not only convection blowing but also feeding rate?
I did not know that.

Yes, with one switch, it does both at same time. Both Castiles have only one switch. My mistake on remembering which stove you had. kap

I am updating the result after thorough cleaning of convection blower fins and exhaust blower fins. I still do not see the difference though. I might have to contact dealer.
Thank you guys!

If you switch it to high, and the combustion fan increases, and the pellets increase, very well could be the control box. Easy enough to check if you know someone with a stove you can test it in, or dealer that has a stove to test it in. May save a service call. Just remember to unplug stove before removing or installing control boxes. kap

Status
Not open for further replies.