classic bay heating tube cleaner stuck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billyg96r

Nov 20, 2008
central connecticut
Hi all,

I've got a classic bay 1200 insert. I have been using some pellets from Lowe's and didn't know that they were not exactly low ash.
When i went to pull on the cleaning tub rod, i noticed that they are stuck due to excessive ash. I called the dealer and their suggeestion was to
use a putty knife to remove old ash and debris etc. I've got most of it off but still cannot get the rod cleaner to move freely over the tubes, as the
cleaning lever is stuck half way up the tubes. i used a harsher brush to remove the ash with no luck.

can anyone suggest a way to clean the remaining ash from the tube, and get the rods moving again?

thank you

I would use a small pot brush and brush as much ash off as possible. You can get the pot brush at a hardware store. A small bottle brush may work too! And you can bend the tip to remove the ash on the top of the tubes. Check the top of this forum. Hearthtools has some good cleaning tips with photo's.

You may have to tap the rod with a soft mallet to get it moving after you remove all the ash.

hope this helps.
jay

I have an Enviro Empress and have experienced the same problem on occassion. I noticed that there was a buildup on the pull rod itself, which I scraped off with a putty knife. That seem to fix the problem for me.

Tell your dealer to check their field updates. There is a fix kit for this problem. Unless it truly is just ash and debris.

Hi Jay,
Thanks for your posting and insights...I'm not sure what you mean by a pot brush or a bottle brush...do you mean one of those small flexible brush heads that start small to fit in narrow openings, but then open up to brush larger surfaces?
I've tried a refrigerator coil brush, and a small wire brush from sears. They helped but I still cant get the rest off. Also, I have to use a screw driver to pry the cleaner rod up, as it's stuck about a third of the way down the heat exchanger tubes. It seems as though it's totally stuck, and i cannot get the bars down past this point no matter what. I'll try the mallet technique, and maybe a screwdriver but it seems as though i can only pry the bar up.

Yes, On the tapered brush, Its like a bottle brush. You can bend the tip to get the ash of the top of the exchanger.

The pot brush is a small circle.

You may want to check the scrapper that is moving over the exchanger. Make sure it didn't bend. Then it will bind on the tubes. The other guys are saying there may be a fix from the dealers, Might want to check that out!

jay

In the past, I've used a small metal toothbrush.

I am currently using a small metal toothbrush, small mallet, refrigerator coil brush, and nothing is working. It seems as though the tubes are really blocked up and covered with ash. I have made good progress with scraping the ash off though, but there still is very little movement on the tubes

billyg96r said:
I am currently using a small metal toothbrush, small mallet, refrigerator coil brush, and nothing is working. It seems as though the tubes are really blocked up and covered with ash. I have made good progress with scraping the ash off though, but there still is very little movement on the tubes

If you are sure its just ash build up, Go get a wire brush(or a few different sizes and shapes) you can put in a hand drill and have at it. Just don't force it and be carefull. Don't need to get hurt!

Have fun!
jay

P.S. I'd get some better pellets to burn. You don't want to have to do this again!

i am pretty sure it's just ash build up. I'm heading over to the dealer tonight to see if i can get a new gasket for the convection blower motor also. I think the fuel really isn't that great for sure, but i also think the fact that the convection blower wasn't getting proper air flow caused the stove to run really black, which caused all the ash problem in the first place. it's very frustrating. I'll try the wire brush approach again tonight

thanks again jay!

Status
Not open for further replies.