Classic Bay help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jenwith1n

Jan 4, 2021
PA
I have a Quadrafire classic bay pellet stove. It started struggling when the stove met temperature and would periodically require a reset due to shutting down. Almost like a brain fart. Today I cleaned the stove and when I restarted it, it was not dropping pellets. The call light is staying on despite the thermostat being down all the way. The thermostat doesn't seem to work at all and was no issue prior. The call light remains on even when the thermostat wire is removed from the back of the unit. The exhaust fan is running, but nothing else happens. Also if you hit restart nothing happens and the call light remains on. Any advice?

Unplug the stove and plug back in. Without the tstat. Combustion blower should run for 12-15 min then shut off. Using a wire connect to tstat connection and let us know how that works

The blower just keeps going and light stays on. I am thinking maybe the board? Smells a bit burnt when I took it out. They one repair man said it would cause the stove to just not come on at all - but I'm wandering if this is what it is. He also said maybe the wire harness itself which I'm hoping it is not this bad.

Unplug the stove and plug back in. Without the tstat. Combustion blower should run for 12-15 min then shut off. Using a wire connect to tstat connection and let us know how that works
The blower just keeps going and light stays on. I am thinking maybe the board? Smells a bit burnt when I took it out. They one repair man said it would cause the stove to just not come on at all - but I'm wandering if this is what it is. He also said maybe the wire harness itself which I'm hoping it is not this bad.

it’s the board. There is a shorted triac in it. Sometimes the circuits don’t damage each other when they go sometimes they do so the bords can work someway and not other or fail completely. There are a lot of chips on quad boards. One of the most sophisticated, That i have worked on.

it’s the board. There is a shorted triac in it. Sometimes the circuits don’t damage each other when they go sometimes they do so the bords can work someway and not other or fail completely. There are a lot of chips on quad boards. One of the most sophisticated, That i have worked on.
So new board put in a week ago exactly. Stove worked better than it had for a long time and heated extremely well. Last week it needed to be reset in the middle of the night. And today it was exactly the same as before - red light on, though dim - not dropping pellets or able to be reset. Red light remains on even when thermostat turned down and when reset pushed. Any ideas?

So new board put in a week ago exactly. Stove worked better than it had for a long time and heated extremely well. Last week it needed to be reset in the middle of the night. And today it was exactly the same as before - red light on, though dim - not dropping pellets or able to be reset. Red light remains on even when thermostat turned down and when reset pushed. Any ideas?

I would test your outlet. Something in the power may be wacked. Do you have brown outs? Power surges? Is the stove plugged into a good surge bar?

I would test your outlet. Something in the power may be wacked. Do you have brown outs? Power surges? Is the stove plugged into a good surge bar?
Never heard of brown outs - so don't think so. It has been in the same outlet for 9 years without issues. I can get a surge bar - just doesn't seem to make sense.

THey had questioned the wire harness - but since the new control box made it work he just stuck to that. could this be the issue?

Check every inch of wire for wear, bare wires, bad connections.if its shorting out it may have damaged your new control.

Check every inch of wire for wear, bare wires, bad connections.if its shorting out it may have damaged your new control.
Waiting for the repair guy to call - this is beyond me unfortunately. I just feel like he just fixed for 400$ last week - and didn't look at any of this. He did tighten three wires that were looser near the conv. blower. But now to have to pay for another board is just frustrating. I appreciate all of your help! Thank you so much!