Clean-out access question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PA452

Jan 8, 2023
PA
In the middle of a house build and trying to work out the wood stove details. We're going to have a wood stove in the basement and another wood stove directly above that one on the first floor, both sharing a framed chase.

Currently the basement will be unfinished, but the first floor stove will be in the living room with stone work around and behind it. The first floor stove pipe is going to come off the top of the stove, then turn back into the chase behind the stove and then up. Figuring we can then clean that flue from the basement via a tee inside the chase. My builder is suggesting running pipe off the bottom of that tee down to the basement and capping it there.

Any problem with that strategy?

That's an ok solution that is frequently suggested. If there will be a cleanout in the wall, put a 2nd tee on the bottom of the cleanout leg and cap it at the bottom. Then run the snout through a thimble and cover that with the cleanout cap.

That's an interesting idea, thanks. We'll check it out, but cleaning both flues from the basement is probably going to be the ticket. Talked to my wood stove dealer about it today. He said it was a good idea and also recommended adding a Y at the bottom if possible and cap that. That way I can stick the brush up the straight piece and stick a shop vac hose into the Y.

That's an interesting idea, thanks. We'll check it out, but cleaning both flues from the basement is probably going to be the ticket. Talked to my wood stove dealer about it today. He said it was a good idea and also recommended adding a Y at the bottom if possible and cap that. That way I can stick the brush up the straight piece and stick a shop vac hose into the Y.
Yes, what I described would be for having the 1st floor cleanout in the basement. Not sure about the Y idea. Y fittings are not common. A capped tee at the bottom is more common. Cleaning is also done at the stove so that the connector is also cleaned at the same time.