Clean out Tee installation in attic?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bertrn

Nov 7, 2009
Central Mississippi
I received wind damage to roof and chimney and in process of repair. Has anyone installed a tee in their attic for cleaning purposes? I have 6 inch single walled inside then double walled in attic and outside. There is one 30 degree bend in the system. My thoughts are that this would allow for easier cleaning going up and down from tee. I’m getting older and the roof has a steep pitch on two story house. Thanks

I received wind damage to roof and chimney and in process of repair. Has anyone installed a tee in their attic for cleaning purposes? I have 6 inch single walled inside then double walled in attic and outside. There is one 30 degree bend in the system. My thoughts are that this would allow for easier cleaning going up and down from tee. I’m getting older and the roof has a steep pitch on two story house. Thanks
Most would probably clean bottom up all the way with a soot eater rotary cleaner. A 30 degree is easy to clean up to and past with a soot eater.

I can’t answer your question someone mire informed than my self probably will but. The T just seems unnecessary

Reactions: bertrn
Me thinks attics can be as inconvenient and dangerous to climb in as roofs.

I would go bottom up indeed.

Agreed. Is there a reason this can not be done bottom-up with a rotary cleaner? What is the stove make and model?

Agreed. Is there a reason this can not be done bottom-up with a rotary cleaner? What is the stove make and model?
Woodstock Keystone and yes it can be done from the bottom up but I have a walk-in attic that would have excellent accessibility if a tee was installed. Just wanted to know if anyone has done this before or uses it currently.

Woodstock Keystone and yes it can be done from the bottom up but I have a walk-in attic that would have excellent accessibility if a tee was installed. Just wanted to know if anyone has done this before or uses it currently.
You would have to check with your chimney manufacturer but generally clean outs are not allowed above the stove connection. And I don't really see the benefit. Just clean from the bottom

You would have to check with your chimney manufacturer but generally clean outs are not allowed above the stove connection. And I don't really see the benefit. Just clean from the bottom
Aren't most exterior chimney tees about 3-4ft above the stove connection?

My problem with the attic tee is that the bottom half still needs to be cleaned. Where does that soot collect and get removed?

Aren't most exterior chimney tees about 3-4ft above the stove connection?

My problem with the attic tee is that the bottom half still needs to be cleaned. Where does that soot collect and get removed?
Well yes I mean where the connector pipe comes in not above the actual stove. I didn't say that correctly