Clean out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have been using the same one tlc1976 shows in port #14 in this thread, for the last 9 years or so. I can go a whole season maybe 2 with out changing out the bags and cleaning the filter. It isn't very large so I just keep it close by the stove. I bought some nice replacement bags off Amazon that work very well also.

Reactions: rashomon
Same here, once a week i'll shut the stove down and use my shop vac with drywall bag. I do the leaf blower thing every ton. This last week I went through about 9 bags, after that you can tell the stove isn't breathing perfectly. Teardown on my trekker can be tricky as I have to remove a huge cast iron plate. I also use micro sized tools with my shop vac to get behind the baffles on my trekker.

Same here, once a week i'll shut the stove down and use my shop vac with drywall bag. I do the leaf blower thing every ton. This last week I went through about 9 bags, after that you can tell the stove isn't breathing perfectly. Teardown on my trekker can be tricky as I have to remove a huge cast iron plate. I also use micro sized tools with my shop vac to get behind the baffles on my trekker.
Thanks to the recent replies about the vacuums your using. I'll be using your suggestions. Vinelife, what's the leaf blower trick I'm hearing about? Do you measure your wood by the ton or something (instead of cord)? When you say 9 bags, do you mean bags of wood? I'm just confused how your stove is getting clogged up and what you meant by bags. Sorry for my confusion.

Thanks to the recent replies about the vacuums your using. I'll be using your suggestions. Vinelife, what's the leaf blower trick I'm hearing about? Do you measure your wood by the ton or something (instead of cord)? When you say 9 bags, do you mean bags of wood? I'm just confused how your stove is getting clogged up and what you meant by bags. Sorry for my confusion.
He has a pellet stove that uses wood pellets to burn for heat the ash needs to be removed so he uses a vacuum and also uses a leak blower.
the blower also has a vacuum for picking up leaves. The vac side is used to suck ash from the internals of the stove and the chimney

You are posting in the Pellet stove forum.

I retrofitted my leaf blower so I can clean out the piping system from the outside of the house. Pellets are measured by the Ton. 9 bag of pellets. Its not that its getting clogged up as much as it needs routine maintenance if its going to run well.

I use a shop vac with a drywall bag to vacuum the ash out. Then I use a leaf blower outside to clean out the venting.

It has worked great for me the past 2 winters.

I can't believe I didn't realize I was posting in the Pellet stove area. I was brought here when I searched for ash vacuums, ha.
Side note, do pellet stoves not need to have their chimney's swept? Seems like that leaf blower video johneh posted gets a ton of crap out of there, and it dawned on me maybe pellets burn different?

The pipes should be cleaned once a year not like a wood
stove very little chance of creosote. The leaf blower also pulls
ash from the stove doing a good job of cleaning hidden ash traps in a pellet stove

I clean my chimney once during Winter and when I take it offline. Little Ash in the pipe. Finish it up with Leaf Blower. Most of the ash is in the bottom 1/4 of chimney. I have 8" Chimney.

IMG_20210119_064818105.jpg

Reactions: Washed-Up